Constant purring. A sign of illness?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

My 14 1/2 year old civie is purring constantly. i just noticed it today about 5 hours ago. this is not normal for her. she is acting pretty normal other than that. but i figure this means something is wrong. does anyone have any experience with this. it's not because she is happy, something is going on. thanks.

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

It can be a sign of pain. If it just started I might have her checked out. Hoping she is just happy. Um, one other speculation, you have other cats with issues right now right? Perhaps she is purring to comfort them. Purring is thought to aid in healing.

3. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I have read too that it can be a way of them trying to make themselves feel better, it releases endorphins. I too, hope it's because she's feeling happy....

4. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

I do know that our civvie Furball, although he was a loud purrer all the time, purred a lot more, under unusual situations as he got sicker. I read that it was sort of like humming, and he was trying to calm himself down.
    Dana

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Cats birthing kittens purr like crazy, at least mine did, moreso than they did normally.
    Shadoe purrs much more when she is feeling sick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.