Constipation and vomiting

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JCL, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCL

JCL New Member

Yesterday night my Pumba seemed quite normal but about an hour before he was supposed to get his PMPS, he suddenly started vomiting his food that he'd eaten just a few minutes before. Right after doing so, he went straight to his litter box and seemed to be straining to poop. Then he came out without success and started vomiting again. He'd go back and forth from straining and vomiting 3 more times before he passed 2 very dark, long, hard stools. Once he'd gotten rid of the stools, he was comforted for about 15 minutes before he started asking for food again. I didn't want to give it to him too soon so I just gave him water for a couple hours before giving food. I took his PMPS and it was 270, much higher than normal for night time, but it could have been caused by the stress he was having. I still gave him 2 units just in case.

This morning I gave him his food 6 hours before his AMPS and he ate it all just fine. At 3 hours before his AMPS, I tested him and got 63, which is the lowest he's ever been. He was given a little more food since he was begging for it after testing. I'm planning to go back home around lunch time to check and see if I need to give him his shot. He managed to pass another stool sometime in the early hours before I gave him his food. I made sure he could urinate before I left the house and he could, so that's a relief at least.

I have no idea what caused him to be like that and tried searching around the internet for possible causes. Dehydration couldn't be it because I blend his food everyday with a bit of water so he gets plenty of moisture in addition to his water bowl. He's been eating Purina Beyond Grain Free variety for a couple weeks so I don't really think it has anything to do with it. He may have eaten a bad can but I'm not sure how fast bad food can cause constipation. I'm planning to get some pumpkin to mix with his food and hopefully help him have an easier time pooping. If anyone has experience with this I'd gladly hear their opinions.

2. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

My cat does this and it is horrible for him. I would keep a poop log (hahaha, get it?) to keep track of his habits. Good idea on adding in the pumpkin. You can add even more water too to his food. Miralax is a powder laxative that you can add to his food. He might need a vet visit if the problems continue for an exam and x-ray. It could also be hair passing through from grooming.

3. JCL

JCL New Member

I actually wanted to take him to the vet this morning because in between straining I could see his stomach rapidly pulsing and it was so scary to see :( But since he seemed to go back to normal half an hour later, I held off on it. He did vomit 2 hairballs, one last week and one this week, which is something he's been doing more often ever since he was switched to wet food. In fact, he rarely ever vomited hairballs while he was on dry food, which is making me think there must be so much hair in him that he needs to get out. But he's never had constipation problems this bad until now so I'm not sure.

Do you know what was the cause for Maverick's megacolon? It seems I'm learning about new cat diseases all the time and reading about them always makes me wonder if Pumba has the same symptoms or if I'm just being paranoid. Being a cat mama sure isn't easy :nailbiting:

4. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.