constipation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cyndi and fuzzy, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

I am switching my cat from dm dry food to canned natural food, he is experiencing a bit of constipation and i wonder if there is anything i can give him if necessary. I am slowly mixing new food with his normal wet food and still leaveing some dry so had hoped this wouldnt be a problem. Othere medical problems are diabetes,kidney insuffenciency, bad teeth.

2. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Sometimes canned pumpkin can help, but I am not sure how that would affect his blood sugar. If you do try pumpkin, make sure the can says pure pumpkin, with no spices... just plain. My Trixter is on Miralax for his chronic constipation and it works wonders, so you may want to go that route, as well... at least until he has gotten used to the new food. Hopefully some others will chime in on this as well. Good luck, and YAY for you for switching to canned food!

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also give about 1/2 tsp of Miralax. That is what I used to give Witn for her constipation.

4. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

I woundered about the pumpkin as give it when needed to my airdale, but was not sure about cats. Interesting about the miralax. Yes because of this site, my fourteen year old cat has been saved once again, we have gone throu the diabetes, sores in ears which is his teeth, and now the kidney problem is upon us. I would have never understood the diet thing, its like a foreign language to me, but others suggestions also helps it sink in and soon your saying, oh, i know that!! I will buy them tomorrow, thanks!! :razz:

5. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

Peeps recently had some problems with poo. She landed herself in the vet because of her diabetes and my inexperience with a plugged up feline OTJ. I was prescribed mineral oil, because it would not mess with her BG. I waited about 8 hours before giving her the mineral oil - she had had SubQ+lubes at the vet earlier in the day. It was about 2 hours after the mineral oil treatment that she finally had her bowel movement.

The syringe given to me was quite huge. I was told to give her 5 units, but anywhere between 2 and 7 was recommended (I specifically asked about this, because Peeps can actually close her throat for days when it comes to medication and she just drools out liquids). About the best I can describe 1 unit = 1 tablespoon.

6. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Honestly? The first thing I would do is ask the vet to check her kidney values. While this is undoubtedly occuring now due to the dietary change, it may well be time to start Fuzzy on subcutaneous fluids (or increase fluids if he's already on them).

Pumpkin may help with the constipation (it never affected Gwyn's BG levels, but others say it has affected their cat's); Miralax should help with the constipation (remember to add extra water to food if using Miralax). But if the constipation is actually being caused by the kidney disease, then treating just the constipation will simply mask the symptoms and the kidney disease will continue to progress.

If it *is* the kidneys and you actually treat those (instead of just a symptom), then Fuzzy can have a longer, healthier life. Usual treatment for kidney disease may include a change to a more kidney-friendly diet (there are diets that work well for both diabetic and kidney cats), potassium supplements, and subcutaneous fluids.

7. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

I am just so confused rite now, his kidneys are in failure, see other post I have, and I have been adding extra water to his canned food anyway as he has chocked in the past, prob because of his teeth, see other post. He has for a long time only had one bm a day, usually at nite, and noticed it is only every three or four days now, he lost some weight with the dental problem, but i am sure he has gained it back(weighs a ton). The good vet never said anything about bm's changeing with the dental and kidney problems, i have such bad luck with vets, I just cant win. Fuzzy is doing ok, has his own apartment in our finished basement and i make him come up for testing twice a day, and now he will only eat downstairs.... I may just try a little miralax for now as have a recheck at the vets sometime after wednesday. Then if his infection with the dental is ok, vet wants to put him under and clean and remove any teeth necessary....I am confused with what i should be feeding him, the constipation,his dental inf. and can he make it ok to be put out,the kidney problem that they now call insuffency,his staying in the basement, just kinda overwhelmed. to get the full pix please read my other posts. nailbite_smile

8. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Constipation PLUS a known kidney problem is not just a casual problem. Please ignore the stuff about pumpkin and laxatives. Your cat is likely dehydrating.

You can check this two ways:
    1. Pull up a little skin between his shoulderblades and see how fast it snaps back. If not instant, that's a sign of dehydration.

2. Touch his gums with your finger. They should be slimy wet, not tacky or dry.

You need to get fluids into him and have your vet help with the kidney problem. Dehydration in any cat is an emergency -- in a kidney-compromised cat it's even more so. If I had a subcutaneous fluids kit or even an oral syringe at home, I'd be using it right now.

9. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

fuzzy is doing ok, please read new comment under diabetic cat with kidney disease, my post, I updated it today......my new vet said to put just a bit into his food and i have been doing that before she told me, he is pooping fine. so this thread could be closed but dont know how to do it!! thanks

10. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Umm...administer mineral oil....in which end? @-)

11. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

Ha! In the mouth :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.