Continuing to have high numbers, bouncing around

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SaraBear, Dec 12, 2018.

1. SaraBear

SaraBear New Member

Hi all,

I posted here in late October and got some good advice. I followed that and tried to get more numbers through the day and increased doses more quickly. I also switched to u100 syringes so I could measure doses in smaller increments per the conversion chart on this side. My poor buddy continues to have high numbers and even had a scary period where the readings were "hi" three mornings in a row :( i have not detected DKA and he is acting normal, like his sweet and feisty self, he has even continued to gain weight (still not at his weight before he got sick). The numbers still concern me of course. Is it possible Prozinc is not for him? Is there another insulin you recommend?

Also, he weirdly usually has higher numbers in the morning.

2. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Cats often have higher numbers in the morning, it's quite common. Would it be possible for you to do a curve or two, that means that you pick a day where you can make regular BG tests during the day to get a clearer picture of how the insulin is affecting his BG? It would also help (I think) to try and get a test in after the evening injection. How many hours after injection do you usually go to bed? Would it be possible to get a test in then?

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

hi Sara, and welcome back! Yes, if you could get a few more tests, it would be really helpful so we can figure out if RS needs more insulin, or if this is bouncing. His pre-shot numbers are pretty erratic which has me wondering. As Stephanie said, night time numbers can be helpful as well, even if it's just a +2 or +3. Alternatively, if you inject right before bed, you could try waking up a bit early and getting a +8 or +9.