? Contour Next BG Monitor - looking for input

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

So after a couple of people weighed in on Amazon available BG monitors for me, I'm leaning towards the Contour Next.

I can get a whole kit that comes with the monitor, 50 test strips, and 100 lancets for less than I would pay for 25 OneTouch test strips. Plus additional strips seem to be about 100 for just over $25.

https://www.amazon.com/Contour-Complete-Diabetes-Glucose-Testing/dp/B072J39NDY/

Could folks weigh in on this? It would be the best deal I think I can see at Amazon and the best use of the gift cards given to me by friends and family.

Also, one Amazon reviewer said the following as a negative. Does anyone know what it means?
    Lastly, where is the link for FMDB so I can use that before putting the meter in my cart?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Reason for edit: added more info
  2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I use the Contour Next meter, and I like it a lot. It seems like a decent enough deal, although I'm not sure about initial pricing. I lucked out and got mine free for work. Another place to check for a deal on a meter and strips would be ADWdiabetes.com. If you do go with the Contour Next, I get my strips from eBay from a reputable seller. I usually pay about $11 per box of 50 strips. Best of luck!

3. shelaghc

I appreciate the info on alternatives for where to buy things. My financial situation is dire, so out of pocket expenses can be extremely impactful on whether I can pay for even the basics (like rent and utilities) to survive.

I have multiple Amazon gift cards from family, friends, and a research study I'm participating in. Amazon seems to be my best resource for many of the things I need for Jester.

Also, @Amanda and a Loudogg Did you see that review I quoted? Do you know what it might mean?

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I think that complaint refers to the two different measurement systems for BG-- the one used in the US (mg/dL) and the one used by the rest of the world (mmol/L). Most meters allow you to switch back and forth, so I'd be surprised if this one didn't (maybe the reviewer just doesn't know how), but it sounds like at least the default reading is in the mg/dl we mostly use here and that you are probably more used to.

shelaghc likes this.
  5. shelaghc

Thanks very much!

6. LunaArt

LunaArt Member

I also just purchased the Contour Next EZ meter and I really like it. The strips are slightly more expensive than the Walmart brand (Relion), but after researching a bit, I liked the reviews for the Contour better. The cost is still a lot cheaper than my personal Accu-chek Aviva meter. I bought 300 test strips off of Amazon around 3 weeks ago for $66.00. I also bought the control solution off of Amazon for a couple of dollars. The only inconvenience is that you have to make sure you plan ahead and have plenty of strips on hand because you can't just go to Walmart to pick up strips if you run out.

shelaghc likes this.
  7. shelaghc

What's the control solution?
    I saw a reference about it, but my OneTouch doesn't have anything like that.
    (Of course, that could be because I got second-hand from my niece.)

8. LunaArt

LunaArt Member

It is used to test the effectiveness of the strips. When you open a new vial of strips, you are supposed to use the first strip to test with the control solution on your meter. You then compare the number on the meter against the control solution ranges listed on the back of your vial of strips. Your meter reading should fall somewhere in the middle of that range. That tells you the vial of strips are good to go.

I'm a diabetic myself so we were taught to do this in class. I think it is recommended to test every new vial of strips regardless of the brand. It verifies that you didn't get a bad lot of strips, although I've never had a bad batch come up. Some people use the control solution for every vial they open, some just test every third vial or so and some don't use the solution at all. I generally test one strip out of a batch of vials I get together, like in the case of getting those 300 strips from Amazon recently.

I've also seen people only use the control solution if they are getting wonky numbers to confirm that the strips aren't the problem. The sucky part is that the control solution is not included with the strips. You have to buy it separately and you can only use the control solution that was made specifically for your strip brand. Also, it expires 3 months after opening regardless of the expiration date, so that is a pain in the butt also.

Critter Mom and shelaghc like this.
  9. shelaghc

Hmmmmm..... I wonder if my diabetic niece could get some for me for free?

10. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Controls are not required, but they are helpful. They're a "known specimen" that allows you to test your strips/glucometer to ensure that both are working as they should. My test strips have the control reference range right on the bottle. To me (as a lab tech), controls should be included with glucometers and/or strips, but of course they usually make you buy them separately. Which reminds me, I'm due to get some more. :rolleyes:

LunaArt and shelaghc like this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If I recall, meters officially sold in the USA in the last 10 years or so have to be in US units and NOT be able to be changed to the European units since some users inadvertently changed the units to European units and though they had excellent BG control. I remember sine the manufacturer of the OneTouch meter I was using informed me that they would exchange my dual-unit meter to a new one that only reds out in US units.

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting! I have a really old meter, so that explains it. And yeah, I've definitely changed it accidentally, having no idea how I did it, so I can see why they decided to do that.

13. imjosh

imjosh New Member

I am going to start treating my cat in a week or so and this is the meter that I am going with. I too like to shop a lot on Amazon and it seemed like the best value for the strips.

14. Badtux

Badtux Member

The two best values seem to be the Contour Next and the ReliOn brand at Walmart, the ReliOn Confirm being the one that takes the smallest blood samples. The strips for both are roughly the same price if you buy the Contour Next strips from Amazon (the ReliOn strips of course are only at Walmart). The Confirm uses slightly less blood and is slightly faster, but the Contour Next isn't bad in that regard, not like some of the cheaper meters out there that require twice the blood of the Contour Next. Accuracy.... meh. None of these meters are accurate. My suspicion is that the Contour Next is more accurate than the Confirm, but unless you're going for the low-and-tight protocol, either is accurate enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.