? Contour Next Test Strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TTBLR, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

Hello.
    I've recently bought Contour Next One meter in Canada. Test strips are very cheap on ebay comparing to local pharmacy in Canada. But the boxes are different from the ones I have bought in Canada. When contacted Bayer(now ascensiadiabetes), they said that readings might be innacurate, as the test strips sold in US are meant for meters sold in US. The only difference is that both countries have different units, which of course may cause innacuracy in readings.
    Did anybody try to use US test strips with meter bought in Canada?
    Any other info on the subject will be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I can't help with your question but wanted to tell you I think Silvester is a cutie! I like his markings :cat:

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The meter gives the reading in the units the meter is designed for. In the USA years ago one was able to setup the meter for either US or international units. However, now the meters have the units locked in since it appears that some US users mistakenly set units to international and thus though their BGs were good instead of being way to high. To convert international units to US units one multiplies international units by 16.

As long as the strips are for a Contour Next One meter they will accurately work in either a US or international meter. The meter, not the strips control the units the meter displays

4. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

Thnaks!)

5. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

Bayer representative said that there is something about test strips' matrix. It hard to believe, but I have to be sure. Agree about meter controlling the units, but to convert you ahve to multiply by 18.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I believe both the FDA and Health Canada would insist on appropriate labelling of the packaging on the strips if there was in fact any difference between those sold in the US vs. Canada. Check the patent numbers on the packaging. If they are the same from the US and Canada, they are the exact same strips.

7. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

I agree they would insist on labelling if Bayer would sell test strips online.
    Logically, units shown on the meter are what programmed in the meter. Test strips are made at one place, and its hard to believe there is any difference in matrix or what else for different countries just because of different units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.