Cortizone shots for cats? Side effects?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathie, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathie

Kathie Member

Hi,

I posted a few days ago about my civvie "Mr B" having stomatitis. The vet gave him a cortizone shot and it seemed to allow him to eat better. Are they safe for cats?
    Also, he's going for extractions on Monday and I'm very worried about the anesthesia. How serious is stomatitis. I got the impression from the vet that it's very serious :cry:

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Steroids have the potential side effect of causing diabetes; your vet should have mentioned that first. For certain conditions that risk is less 'important' than treating the condition. I'm afraid I'm not well versed in stomatitis so perhaps others can address that part

There are risks with anaesthesia but the vast majority of cats do just fine. THere are some simple precautions, including no food after 8pm the night before, blood pressure monitoring (very important), pulse ox monitoring if available, the use of isofluorene or other gas anaesthesia, pre dental blood work to rule out potential issues, etc. My Squeak has had many dentals and we are very careful with him as he tends to have issues with certain drugs, but he needs the dentals for his over all health so we do them.

The pet diabetes wiki article has info on questions to ask your vet

Jen

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

This might be the list of questions for the vet that Jen referred to.

Besides the important precautions that Jen pointed out, I would add having an IV catheter placed before the procedure. Also even getting fluids before, during, and after the procedure. Some vets will say no water after midnight. Thus the cat will be dehydrated and need the fluids. Also, if there is a "crash" during surgery, it's best to have the IV catheter already placed.

Also, post operative antibiotics and pain meds. Try to get something liquid or injectible. I hate having to pry open a cat's mouth for pills after extractions. For pain, Torbutol is liquid and also injectible. Avoid Covenia (the multi-week antibiotic shot) and Metacam (a NSAID asociated with acute renal failure.)

Also, consider adding a probiotic to Mr. B's food pre- and post-surgery to offset the effect of the antibiotic killing off friendly bacteria in his GI tract. Oterwise, you might end up with diarrhea.

Also don't know about Stomatitis. Sorry.

Best of luck!!

4. Kathie

Kathie Member

Thanks for all the info I'm very worried about this surgery and it's good to know all you can about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.