Cost of Lantus Insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Haley&Diane, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Hi Everyone,

Diane was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with diabetes. Her levels were at 478 mg/dL. We've been trying to get her managed without insulin by changing her diet, but I'm pretty sure she is going to have to start insulin within the next week. She has a check up with the vet on Saturday to test her levels. Right now the lowest her levels reach is 256 mg/dL without insulin.

I've been doing research and am curious to find how much insulin costs. I haven't been able to find any set prices...from what I understand it ranges from $170-$300ish. What do you all normally pay for a vial of Lantus insulin? How long does it last? How much are the pens?

If the prices are too high I was thinking about ordering from Canada, but I have no idea how to go about doing that and I'm worried I will end up getting ripped off. Anyone here have a place in Canada you'd recommend ordering from?

Thanks for the help!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Mark's Marine in Canada is one several of us have used. You'll need to fax or mail them the Rx.

Pens are 300 units / 3mL each and come in 5 packs. Often, you can use the entire contents before the insulin wimps out. Some pharmacies will sell 1 pen at a time.

The vial comes as 1,000 units / 10 mL. Unless you have a very high dose cat, you won't finish the vial before it becomes useless about 6 months later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.