Could really use some advice. 01/26 AMPS 356 +2 342 +4 331

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jerica&ramone, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Ramone had the libre lifestyle monitor on him for 2 weeks Jan 3-16th prior where I thought I was seeing progress, mostly yellow and 3 blues!

So monitor is off now and I am testing now with the One Touch Verio (in Canada)

5 units of Lantus and doesn't look like its doing anything for him. Not even a little bit of a dip.

Should I increase dose? This is the 3rd insulin I have tried with him.

Why such a difference between the meters. Is the One touch more accurate or is the Libre Lifestyle more accurate?

What if I stop giving him insulin - will his #'s go even higher? Or maybe he's on too much? I'm just so confused and sad. I thought I was making progress before with the Libre reader, but now this just hanging out in the 300's (17-22) all day/night.

And his neuropathy is getting worse. I do give him zobaline but it won't work unless I can get his BG down.

Only been on Lantus just over a month. And lately I have notices he flinches more when I give him insulin when before I didn't, then I think I'm doing something wrong or hurting him...

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would increase to 5.5 units. You were at 7 on Prozinc, so may need to get close to that dose again.

As for the flinching, it is possible it is the Lantus. It has an acid base that can sting at higher doses. Are you holding the syringe in you fingers for a minute or two before injecting. I found warming helped.

3. Wendy&Neko

4. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Okay thanks I'll up to 5.5 tonight .

And no have not done the warming up technique.
    I will start that tonight too. I bet that's what bugging him.

Thank you!!!

5. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Hi!

I used the OneTouch Ultra 2 and Ming had the Libre on for 2 weeks last year in July. You can see his numbers on my 2019 SS. I only ever tested both meters at the same time when he was low and the OneTouch always read lower. I assumed it was lower because the Libre's readings are delayed (about 6-18 minutes).

I switched to OneDrop a few months ago and I find the OneTouch reads consistently higher in comparison.

But I don't think any of this matters, really. I think, like Wendy said, you're playing catch up since you were previously on 7 units of ProZinc (not sure where Wendy saw that info. Am I missing something from your SS?)

I'm not familiar with Ramone's history but I do think you're holding doses too long, which builds up glucose toxicity. You need to choose a dosing method and increase according to those. Have you read this post yet? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  6. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Thanks for your reply.

My situation is kind of opposite, I was getting better #'s with the libre monitor and now with the One Touch Verio, his #'s are consistently high and does not drop at all not that he really did before but the #'s were lower. But I feel I need to go based off the One Touch #'s as that is my only long term solution to get readings. I was not testing both at the same time to see how they compared.

And yes we were on about 6.8 u of Prozinc prior to switching to Lantus in the beginning of December. It should note on the very top - I did one curve before switching to Lantus when he was still on prozinc and that's when I noticed the neuropathy which triggered me to go to the vet.

I have no idea about holding dose to long etc. or glucose toxicity... I'm not sure my vet is really sure either as she didn't want me to raise his dose to the 5.5 but I am doing it anyway. I'll do a curve this weekend.

So if the dose is not doing anything and just having flat curves - how long do I hold the dose before an increase? I can't do curves during the week bc I work - I can attempt them at night but it makes a really tough day at work the following day.

And what is glucose toxicity - should I be concerned more about something . All of this is so overwhelming and concerning. I'm trying to do everything I can but feels like I'm just going in circles. We've been doing this for 7 months and still do no have him regulated and his neuropathy is getting worse. And I did not start home testing until December... kicking myself for not being more diligent when he was first diagnosed....

7. Wendy&Neko

Glucose toxicity sounds worse than it is. Basically their body gets used to being in higher numbers, and you need to increase the dose to get over it. High and flat pinks usually means not enough insulin.

Night tests are good, I doesn't have to be a curve, maybe one just before you go to bed, another one if he drops a lot from the or shot value.

Remind me what food Ramone is eat8ng?

Si am cat mom likes this.
  8. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Okay - yes I will make sure to get a reading before bed and can prob get another one in the night since he wakes me up anyways for a snack. I did one last night and this morning and he was higher than usual... 20-22. But I think from what I've learned when you do any dose change with Lantus you can have NDW - until new dose settles in again...

I currently feed him Friskies pates - was feeding FF pates but was going through 6-8 cans or more a day between my two boys. Find the Friskies I'm only at about 4 cans per day... No dry food. Treats are only PUrebites or I give him plain rotisserie chicken bits.

Prior to December and me discovering FDMB and the FB group - I was feeding him Purina DM from the vet.

9. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

So I was able to do some readings last night and all in the 19-20 range..+3 +6 +9

Do I continue with the 5.5 units ?

I will be able to get some day readings Saturday & Sunday

10. Wendy&Neko

I would increase to 6.0 units. Then you can monitor and get some reading for that dose this weekend.

11. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Thank you i will do that.

and thank you so much for all the advice and iknow this won't be the last but i'm just very grateful. :)

Fingers crossed for some yellows and blues!!