? Could this be a rebound number?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Panic, May 28, 2019.

1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Posted this on the Health forum, someone recommended posting here for better insight!

Let me start by saying I do not have very many readings yet on my cat! We only started home testing last week and right now I'm just aiming for AMPS and PMPS tests until kitty and I get the hang of things. There are gaps where I tried and failed to get a reading.

Since I've had a good past four or so sessions where we got blood, I decided I would try midday and see what her reading was. You can check her SS in my signature (all info is in my signature as well!), as you can see her AMPS shot this morning was 307, which is actually pretty low for her for a pre-shot test, so I was pleased. I checked just now, +5 after and she's up to 410. Do you suspect this is a rebound number? I know there's really not enough readings to make a good educated guess but I figured it was either that or I messed up her shot this morning...I checked her fur and it didn't feel wet, however lately I feel like I'm not poking through the skin enough because I think I poked her muscles on a couple occasions, and thus I may be over-compensating by not inserting far enough in so it could be that.

I have a little log book I'm updating that I want to bring to my vet next Thursday when we do a fructosamine test, so I will be showing her the numbers as well. I have a feeling Vetsulin isn't lasting long enough for her so if the readings back up my suspicions I will bring up Prozinc again (we were originally going to switch her after her first Vetsulin curve but after the second one we finally got some low numbers, after being so high for weeks the vet wanted to stick to Vetsulin for now, which I agreed with considering she's finally getting strength in her back legs again). But now I'm also suspicious that her dose is too high and causing rebounds...but she was on 3u for a week or two but we only saw improvement (referring to physical and behavioral) when we went to 4u.

I can provide more info if required, just ask!

Will also mention that she gets 1 can FF for breakfast, then throughout the day she gets snacks consisting of another can's worth, today at +2 and +5 so far. I cannot free-feed yet because she will eat it all, however we are not concerned about her eating too much because she is severely underweight.

2. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

bumping to put this at the top for this forum, though you got some answers on the Main one