? Could use input on Frodo's SS. Advice/Opnions Please..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nancey, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancey

Nancey Member

If someone would please look at Frodo's SS and give me their opinion I would greatly appreciate it. His numbers seem to be stuck. I have him back up to 2 units. The few days of 300's I figured out he was eating the dog food, because apparently he is always hungry. The bump to 2 has dropped him a bit. He had a week back about a month ago where he was doing really well even had some mid green numbers, have not clue why as I wasn't doing anything differently, and then they were gone. Not sure what to do, I was giving him 3.0 at the first of the year and he seemed to stay in the 300's that is why I started backing him down and his numbers started looking better.

Guess I am hoping someone here can see something I don't and can offer some advice on which way to go. I have even thought of maybe trying Lantus as he has been on Prozinc for the entire time.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The 10th was a good day. Since then you do not have any BGs between shots. This evening's PS of 197 might be too much for 2 units.
    Also yu have a typo since yesterday was 4/14/15 but the next entry is 4/25/15

3. Nancey

Nancey Member

I was working from home on the 10th, I try to pull several BGs during the day when I do. This past week has been really strange, but I will work to get more BGs in the evening hours this week and post them. So you think I should go back to a sliding scale? If so does anyone have a suggestion on dosing?

Oh I fixed the typo.. thanks Larry.

4. Nancey

Nancey Member

Does anyone else have an opinion or advice with the BGs I currently have listed? As stated above I will work to get more mid cycle numbers in the evenings and will do a curve on Friday as I should be working from home that day.

Thanks for any input you might have...

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

First, I don't use ProZinc, but I think I'd stick with the current dose until you start getting a few more tests in.

You might also want to post over in the ProZinc Forum to get some of the more experienced eyes watching out for you and Frodo

Interesting that there's another Frodo over on the ProZinc Forum too!

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The numbers look pretty good. He seems to have pretty consistent pre shots in the 200s (which is in the regulated range). I agree with others than some midcycle numbers and a curve will help. If he is kind of flat mid cycle, then you might increase by .25. If he drops mid cycle, then you might just finesse the dose - maybe a sliding scale for higher pre shots vs lower ones.

Once you get the mid cycle data, you might post on the ProZinc forum and get some ideas.

7. Nancey

Nancey Member

Thanks Chris & Sue, I appreciate your input. I will be home today early enough to get a mid-cycle number and will run a curve tomorrow. Typically when I run a curve or just do a random check his mid-cycle numbers are lower, that is if I can catch him when he hasn't been eating. The boy really likes to eat, and here lately he seems to want to eat more hence the note on his SS about getting into the dog food.

Sue, I do have a question for you, you stated that the 200s are in the regulated range, I am slightly confused did I miss reading that information somewhere? For some reason I thought he needed to be lower to be considered regulated. Could you please provide more information on that for me? Or point me to where it is located? Thank you.

Also once I get some more numbers I will post in the ProZinc forum for other ideas.

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

There is a section in the FAQs for regulation. It's what I use when talking about guidelines:

Q6.1. What is regulation?

A6.1. There are different definitions of regulation. As hometesting becomes more common, we've been getting a better understanding of what cats and their humans might be capable of. Janet & Fitzgerald propose the following "regulation continuum":
    • Not treated [blood glucose typically above 300 mg/dl (16.7 mmol/L), poor clinical signs]
    • Treated but not regulated [often above 300 (16.7) and rarely near 100 (5.6), poor clinical signs]
    • Regulated [generally below 300 (16.7) with glucose nadir near 100 (5.6), good clinical signs, no hypoglycemia]
    • Well regulated [generally below 200-250 (11.1-13.9) and often near 100 (5.6), no hypoglycemia]
    • Tightly regulated [generally below 150 (8.3) and usually in the 60-120 (3.3-6.7) range, no hypoglycemia, still receiving insulin]
    • Normalized [60-120 (3.3-6.7) except perhaps directly after meals -- usually not receiving insulin

The info is "old" in terms of when it was written, but I think fairly accurate. Lantus users may use a different scale as their insulin works differently, but for ProZinc, I think it's a good guide.

9. Nancey

Nancey Member

AWESOME!!! Thank you so much Sue!

10. SuePea

SuePea Member

yes, thank you, Sue, that's giving me a better sense of where Charlie is. After only a week on the insulin, his numbers are mostly green or blue!

11. Nancey

Nancey Member

@Sue and Oliver (GA) , question for you or anyone else that can answer. For some reason I am getting confused, reading to much I think. The dosage amount for ProZinc should be based on NADIR or preshot numbers? Which is more reliable?

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can adjust the ProZinc dose using preshot and nadir data when you have tested how your cat does with given starting glucose levels and given doses. This means first you test and collect data, generally with a stable low dose and begin the process of adjustment as your learn your cat's responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.