Couple of things

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

firstly I am confused by the carbs for the Rachel Ray chicken and shrimp pawttenescu. On the chart it shows 14% but I bought it from Chewy and it says 3.5% as of September 2018. That is a huge difference! Secondly as most of you know Truffles was off juice for 80 days and then caught a virus and was v v poorly. He didn’t eat for a day then would only lick food off my finger and could barely stand or walk. I’m delighted to say he seems to be 99% recovered and even jumped on the bed this morning (which is high!). His diabetes was triggered again and was showing around the 300+ but is coming in to line pretty quickly now and I’m keeping my fingers crossed he will go back in to remission.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Anne, good to see you and I'm so very happy to read that Truffles is recovering and feeling so much better. It's awful when they are ill and you are scurrying around trying to fix it!
    I can't advise on the food question, sorry, but I wanted to check in and say how wonderful it is that Truffles is on the mend. Paws and fingers crossed for remission again. :bighug:

Anne Biddle likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The chart gives you the percentage of calories from carbs, known as the metabolizable energy (ME) profile. This is the info you want/need.

I noticed on Chewy's site they give the Guaranteed Analysis (GA) information which does not include carbs. The 3.5% of carbs was in the company's response to a customer question, and it does not even tell what that is - is it supposed to be based on the GA info? To get the approximate weight of carbs based on GA info, you are supposed to add up the values for moisture, protein, fat, fiber, and ash and subtract this value from 100%. That still does not give you the percentage of calories from carbs though.

There is info on calculating all of this here: https://catinfo.org/commercial-cat-foods/#Calculating__Percentage_of_Carbohydrates:

Anne Biddle likes this.
  4. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Thanks for that. So the higher value is right. Shame Truffles loves them as a treat!

5. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Because however old you are it’s a cardboard box so you have to sleep in it. So glad to see my boy himself again. F4CB8441-E57F-484A-BE32-9F1B95FDAE65.jpeg

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

He's so beautiful, Anne. A very fine boy.

Anne Biddle likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

So very handsome! :bighug::smuggrin:

Anne Biddle likes this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Handsome boy!

Anne Biddle likes this.
  9. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Awww, he's a big fluffy cloud kitty like my Mia!

Anne Biddle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.