Crazy Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne-Callie, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne-Callie

Anne-Callie New Member

As a lot of you stated here My cat Callie is starting to except having to get insulin shot. My other cat Toby who is extremely skittish and as my husband would say A psycho cat is not eating as much as he should have tried feeding him another room and he will come up and ask for food but he needs to be eating more and just doesn’t seem interested My vet said a cat will starve themselves for no reason and when we had to switch to all wet food He seem to except it now not so much I bought him dry food again and the wet food I know he likes and try feeding him in a different room shows no interest in the dry food and it’s just a little bit of the wet I am very worried about him and he suggestions would be great

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Is Toby eating at all? You say he asks for food, but doesn't eat much, does he lick his lips? That could indicate nausea. If not, try warming the food and stirring it up to enhance the smell. I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Your vet is not crazy. Our vet's father was also a vet and they both told me a sick cat will starve themselves to death as opposed to a dog which will make an effort to nibble something from your hand. Sorry, not trying to be morbid or scare the crap out of you. Having said that.... Have your vet give Toby a really good look, there's something not right here. Sharon is right about warming the food. Also, if a cat can't smell food it will not eat. That's not a myth. Other tricks, breaking up treats like Whiskas Temptations in the food, sitting alone with kitty to make sure he knows he is loved (irrational), moving location of food, take food away and put it back a minute later. When I get desperate with Noah, I mean completely desperate, these things work. Sometimes I pull his tail and he starts eating, no joking. Wishing you luck.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

How did things go tonight? I just wanted to make sure you understood that everything I said was serious. I know you're in a tough spot. Just now Noah ate a tiny bit and walked away, there's 3 cats in this room and he likes privacy. I moved his dish to a corner, rubbed his head and pulled his tail and he ate. It's not medical advice, more like cheerleading.
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :coffee:

Sharon14 and StephG like this.
  5. Barneys dad

Barneys dad Member

Most cats are little A holes when it comes to how they want things run in their house. When the vet says Diabetes and hands you that insulin people get stressed and the cat knows it. Then we go home and start making changes to how our cats think things should be. Some like my Barney just roll with it and my problem children are the other two none sick ones. Something as simple as changing the food bowl is enough to upset some cats. My cats love wet as a treat and than stopped until we figured out it was when we changed the bowls. ( there tags were hitting the rim of the new bowls) My general rule is never change more than one thing at a time with Cats. Make a single change and let them get use to that as the new normal. Have a flavor of food they like feed just that one for awhile than offer up half of the old in one dish and half of the new in a separate dish. They can often end up trying the new food after finish the old when if you only offered only the new they would walk away. Believe it or not but some cats have to believe the choice of changes is theirs vs having changes forced on them. The trick is getting them to think they have choice.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.