? Crystals in Urine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shana Martin, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shana Martin

Shana Martin Member

Okay so I have 3 cats...
    Abby is my diabetic and is on Lantus 2x a day 1.25units, doing great & back to her playful, happy self :)
    Only food allowed for all 3 cats is Friskies Pate.

Recently was given these little hard kibble treats from my mother in law and decided to give them to the cats, a few in the morning. (probably caused this crystal to form because idk what else would have).
    I threw them away now.
    About two-three weeks now, I noticed one of my cats- Ollie (he's 4yrs old) licking himself almost constantly.
    I caught him in the litterbox and he seemed to pee normally, no straining...

I took him to this new vet yesterday & she said that he has Struvite Crystals in his urine, Possible few rods and cocci. No clue what rods and cocci mean, she didn't explain much. He was so scared there though, he peed SO much all over the room. Didn't seem to be straining or in any pain. She gave me an antibiotic to give him 2x a day for 14 days. Then a prescription food FOREVER. I read in some places it can be fed for a few weeks or up to a month to help the acidity in the urine and dissolve the crystals but over time isn't good..? Hills C/D Multicare, wet food Pate.

So anyway my questions:
    1.) Does he really need this prescription food forever?
    2.) HOW in the world do I keep a diabetic cat with food down in her automatic feeder + a cat with crystals who needs a prescription food?

I read Dr. Lisa's information on an interview she did and it says cats with crystals should be fed low phosphorous food, which friskies is not low at all.

Idk, any advice is needed :( Thanks!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My Max actually blocked once. He was put on Hills CD for years. Then when he got diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis my vet told me to feed canned food. I don’t think the special food for is for life any more. There are also additives that can be put in the food. It’s been years so I suggest you join the yahoo feline crf group and ask there. Tanyascrf probably has info as well. It’s important that he drinks enough. You don’t want him to block and are right to be concerned. When I noticed Max hadn’t peed I rushed him to the vet and my vet was busy so I saw another one. She pierced his bladder causing emergency surgery. It was a nightmare. :bighug:

3. Shana Martin

Shana Martin Member

Thank you!! I have been reading up on her page and a couple others now.!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.