? Curious about injection technique

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Is it possible Mimi won’t get her correct dose if I’m not injecting it correctly? I don’t mean into the muscle or missing and not puncturing.
    I mean whenever I do inject - I pinch up some skin and pierce the pinch (I have 8MM needles) and Inject that way but I just realized people say they pierce a “tent” - and I’m
    Not really doing that?
    I guess my question is- are there places you can inject that will lessen the effect of the insulin, or if you see it go in, and the plunger goes down, it’s in there.

I hope this made sense. Currently I go to the side of Mimi’s stomach and inject her there because I can see what I’m doing. I also might need a cat anatomy lesson so I can see exactly where subq is?

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Where are you doing the "tent"? Gizmo had long hair so I found the roll technique worked better for him. I shot on the shoulder, flank and scruff (rotating). I think as long as you are not pushing all the way through the skin you are fine.

injsitesforcats1.jpg

Jill & Jade likes this.
  3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

4. Mimis mom

5. Mimis mom

I wish there was a video for the roll technique.. only thing I have found on YouTube is the tent technique at the scruff

6. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

It is easier to go into the tent of the skin if you are angled with the bevel of the needle up. Subq is just referring to the layer beneath (sub) the skin (cutaneous) surface.

Sandy and Black Kitty likes this.
  7. Christie & Maverick

No, I don't think so. but I also think it depends on how you pull the skin. I think I've seen some techniques where the angle is more flat/parallel as well, where the syringe is flatter against the body. I personally like coming in at closer to the 45 degree angle, but I don't really raise the skin up much, it's really closer to a pinch between my thumb and my forefinger. Just enough to raise it up.

These pics from the main page seem more straight in to me...

http://www.felinediabetes.com/injections.htm

8. Christie & Maverick

9. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

10. Mimis mom

11. Mimis mom

What do you mean “angled with the bevel of the needle up”

12. Christie & Maverick

Every one of us develops their own style, so I'll try and offer one more set of tips from Marje on testing and shooting

Sorry about the video, I'm not sure why it does that, but it gives you a good pic of the skin layers and sub cutaneous fat which is what you are aiming for.

As for the bevel, when you look at a needle, you can see the beveled edge, there is an angle to the needle.

This sticky shows close up pics of the needle, but gives other good info. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...info-proper-handling-drawing-fine-dosing.151/

13. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

The tops of needles and lancets are cut at a visible angle. For comfort sake I always took the time to make sure the bevel at the tip of the needle was facing up. Same with lancets. I would locate it and put a mark on the syringe body with a sharpie (for a long time I used 3 syringes for the AM dose and another 3 for the PM dose). To find the bevel get under a light and slowly spin the needle around until the light catches the beveled tip.
    6C699763-316C-4471-805D-989D782FDDFC.jpeg Same with lancets.

14. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

This is the closest i could find

Mimis mom likes this.