? Curious about water intake

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Hi!
    Since being diagnosed diabetic, Mimi has been extremely thirsty (I feed wet and always add water on top of it)
    One thing I recently noticed was she’s not drinking as much water anymore. Is that a good sign?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes!! It means she's getting the water her body needs from her food like cats were designed to! Cats are desert creatures that have a low thirst drive. They get their moisture from the prey they eat. (A mouse is about 80% water)

Also, as her BG goes down, she won't drink as much either. The reason they drink so much is because they're trying to "dilute" the excess glucose in her bloodstream. It's also the reason they pee so much....all that water has to go somewhere!

Mimis mom likes this.
  3. Mimis mom

awww ok! I’m nervous about her since she was DKA so I will take a dropper of water and actually squirt a little at a time (so she doesn’t inhale it) directly into her mouth. (Like I’m administering liquid medication).
    She’s been acting playful and happier than I’ve seen her in a long time lately too! Still pretty hungry all the time though. Might be trying to get her weight back up? She was overweight for the last few years (15 lbs) and then got all the way down to 10 around diagnosis. I’ve never fed them anything but quality food-wet for their main meals and kibble as a snack. Maybe she ate too much or the kibble? She was on Natures Variety ultimate protein for several years.
    Thanks!

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Not drinking is good! Mia literally never drinks water since her glucose has been regulated. She gets all of hers from her food.

5. Mimis mom

She did just throw up today. I think there was a small hair ball, but that I’m sure will dehydrate her some?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.