Curly Sue's journey!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LiznSue, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiznSue

LiznSue New Member

Hey guys, this is Curly Sue's journey. Curly Sue is 14 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes on August 6th, 2019. She was subsequently diagnosed with CKD 2 weeks later. She's on vetsulin and has been rotating between foods to find the right one. Vet originally put her on royal canin glycobalance dry and she had 3 dehydration crashes. She finally got switched to royal canin select protein PV wet food as she's apparently got idiopathic BD. I started mixing in water with her food so she finally stopped crashing. It's a very expensive food (with the amount she's eating, it's costing about $180 USD a month which is crazy) but I've been looking at switching her to Tiki Cat or Weruva. I'm not home testing as of yet because my baby is a little aggressive and grumpy when I'm touching places she doesn't like.
    One major issue she was having when she crashed the first time was a severely distended abdomen. Vet couldn't figure out what was causing it, but it was suggested that she had an enlarged liver or pancreas, pancreatitis, or possibly cancer. On her most recent blood test results, she had very high WBC and low RBC. Her BUN was high but her creatinine was average. The size of her abdomen has been shrinking since I started her on the new food, however. She has started eating a bit less as of this week so I'm not sure if it's good or bad in regards to her diabetes or CKD. Her sugars were averaged at about 217 on her last vet visit. I'm wondering if her BUN would go down since she's not as dehydrated?
    Thanks for reading!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Liz and welcome to you and Curly Sue. You have found a wonderful resource to help you deal with the diabetes and the CKD, as there are members here dealing with the dual issues.

Please create a signature so that we can see Sue's information when you post:
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Testing is important, and I'm sure you know that. We can offer tips for getting ready to test, as well as what supplies you will need and how to actually test.

Please start a new thread in the Main Health forum HERE so that more members can meet you and Sue, and offer input and suggestions. This forum is only the welcome mat and not nearly as heavily monitored as the Main forum. If you like, you can copy your message here and paste into the new window there.

Very best wishes going forward :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.