Curve testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Megaboo, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Hi! I am using this weekend to test more often (curve). I know feeding him will alter the numbers. What is the best way to do this? does food just temporarily alter his BG? Thanks,

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Meaghann, I found some links about doing the curves:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-minicurve.htm
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-curves.htm
    I note that you only feed twice a day at shot time. Most of us feed more frequent, smaller meals throughout the day and this does not affect curves. It just shows how the insulin is waxing and waning during each cycle. Just remove all food 2 hours before the preshot tests to be sure that the BG isn't food influenced.
    Is Kali acting hungry? he probably is, unregulated sugar cats aren't able to effectively utilize the food properly and they remain hungry. Is it possible to feed him more often? Some of us use a timed feeder so that food is available when you are not there to dish it out, or freeze the wet food in ice cube trays, then set it out to thaw and be available.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed incorrect link
  3. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Thanks for the links Lou! I do feed him between shots. when I get home which is about 2 and a half hrs before his second shot and less than his main meal amount. he does act very hungry but mainly when I am getting his food ready. his impatient. I will look into getting a timed feeder. its been an adjustment because I used to free feed both my cats.

4. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

I love your cats name by the way. Is it from the show Supernatural?

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit came to us with his name. I absolutely adore him, so does DH, but I gotta tell ya, "Idjit" does fit sometimes. But he's ours and we are his, so we muddle along. :)

6. Idjit's mom

The whole diabetes thing is an adjustment, but it sounds like you are really learning fast. I took a look at the ss and would recommend checking with the members in the Vetsulin forum for dosing help. I don't know enough about increasing or decreasing doses with that insulin, but other insulin protocols have you hold a dose for so many cycles (12 hours) before changing.
    I have read others suggesting adding info about feeding times, and how much food given in the comments section of the spreadsheet to the far right, so that they can see the effect on the BG.
    Are you feeding both cats the low carb food so Kali isn't eating anything else? He's going to be ravenous until he's better regulated, poor dear.

7. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Yes, they were both a few pounds overweight before Kali got diabetes. I didn't want Neo to get sick too so they are both on Fancy Feast now. My vet told me to increase the dose from one to two units but I wanted to go slow with the increase. I will take a look at the Vetsulin forum. Thanks again for all your help and guiding me through some of this stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.