? D-mannose dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Callie & Patches, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I have been giving Callie D-Mannose after reading here how good it was for treating and preventing UTI's. I ws wondering how much everyone is giving to their cats.

2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

for prevention I give a size 4 capsule 2ish times a week-
    if suspecting a infection of runging high I would give a capsule or 2 daily ..
    active infection I give 4-5 a day and fluids to flush out (if no heart problem or on steroid) then decrease as I saw more normal behavior.
    for reference Dre is 19 pounds-

3. Callie & Patches

I buy the powered. Do you have any idea how much I should give? I have been gibing Callie 1/8th teaspoon a day. I could buy some of the capsules and fill them. I do have a capsule filler that I use for my herbs.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I give 1/8 tsp once/day. Colin hasn't had a UTI recently, but if he did I'd probably give the same dose, but increase to twice/day

5. jayla-n-Drevon

I buy the powder and put in size 4 capsules--Dre is big so I dose accordingly--and I know if he gets one it is quick thats why I try to tackle it--I used to get UTIs all the time and if caught early it works best--
    There has to be enough for the bacteria to adhere to it and then flush out is why I dose more in the first few days if I see it coming-
    otherwise I would do the same as @Sharon14 and give 1 for maint... I don't give Dre every day tho-
    :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Callie & Patches

Thank you. I didn't want to give her too much. Did anyone have their cat get loose stools from taki.g it ?

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Do you sprinkle the powder on the food? I have wanted to start D-mannose for Squallie for some time now, but don't know how to dose or administer. (Sorry, Donna, I don't mean to hijack your thread! :bighug:)

8. Elle & Squeak (GA)

Elle & Squeak (GA) Member

Mine developed diarrhea, but she has digestive issues and I just started giving her a full dose instead of working up to it. I stopped for a few days to let the diarrhea subside, then slowly worked her up to her current dose and she hasn't had any more issues. I give her 1/8 tsp of the Now brand powder once a day.

I mix Squeak's into a bit of pate so she doesn't notice it. I've been giving a small maintenance dose daily for a few months now. I *think* it's okay to give long term, but don't quote me on that. My vet did say it should be okay, and I know Dr. Becker talks about it in her article on UTIs (http://healthypets.mercola.com/site.../prevent-urinary-tract-infection-in-cats.aspx)

Squalliesmom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

If you can is best to put on something moist or in water
    Some shelters use it in water regularly because of the stress and uti
    I have heard of possible loose stools but have never had it happen with any of mine.
    I know of no long term contradictions
    I personally do not like the one with cranberry I use the plain.
    I am not sure about the cranberry with a diabetic either.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

This D-mannose containing chew for cats
    http://www.1800petmeds.com/UT Soft Chews For Cats-prod11084.html
    contains
    Active Ingredient(s):
    D-Mannose (100 mg), N-Acetyl-Glucosamine (100 mg), Cranberry Extract (50 mg), Bromelain (50 mg), Corn Silk (50 mg), GanedenBC30 brand of Bacillus coagulans GBI-30 (50 million CFU).

and they recommend two per day

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Is d-mannose recommended for idiopathic cystitis when there is no bacterial infection?

12. jayla-n-Drevon

I don't know if it is officially recommended but I know many holistic vets that do recommend it as there have been no reported negative effects and often for some unknown reason seems to help even with this condition....is a mystery?
    I have used it for some of my foster/rescues and it did not always help but it did not harm either..... about 75% of the time there seems to be a improvement .... I am not sure if the stress was lessened of the D-Mannose or both....

Critter Mom and Marlena like this.
  13. Marlena

Thank you:)

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  14. Callie & Patches

I want to thank everyone who recommended D mannose. It has helped Callie get over her UTI and helped keep it from coming back,

15. Marlena

Donna, did you have urine culture done for Callie so it was confirmed that she had bacterial UTI?

16. Callie & Patches

They looked at the urine under a microscope. They found rods, indicating e-coli. I wish that tbey had sent it off to a lab but they didn't. They started her on an antibiotic at the start. If she gets another UTI, I will insist on testing.

Marlena likes this.
  17. Marlena

Yes, I would definitely recommend testing for UTI.
    If Callie had E-coli infection in her urinary track then d-mannose is really effective.

18. Callie & Patches

That's what they said she had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.