? Dandruff

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leslie Doctor, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie Doctor

Leslie Doctor Member

My kitty seems to have more dandruff than usual. Is it related to her diabetes perhaps?

2. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

My vet said yes, Leslie. Genghis had terrible dandruff when she was first diagnosed. I found the change in diet plus some animal-sourced Omega 3 helped her a lot. It's four months later and her coat is gleaming with no dandruff at all.

I also bought her a Zoom Groom, a totally different kind of cat brush, and it helped immensely.

SpecklesandMe and Leslie Doctor like this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yes, dry skin and dandruff are a result of diabetes and the malnutrition that comes with it. Once the diabetes is under control the dandruff should clear up.

Interestingly, when Squallie had his UTI a few weeks ago, and his BG numbers went up, his dandruff came back. Once his numbers started to drop again the dandruff went away.

SpecklesandMe and Leslie Doctor like this.
  4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Where did you get the "animal sourced" Omega 3? I just noticed noticed dandruff on Murphy today for the first time ever

5. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Nordic Naturals makes one for kitties and small dogs. It's mercury-purified fish oil.
    I also really like this other one because long-term Omega-3 use can mess with the Vit E levels in kitties, but this one has Vit E in it to counteract that issue: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/asce...gclid=CPnS9bvzk8kCFU1cfgodGVIBLw#.Vkk_7meFPIU

Brashworks likes this.
  6. Carol & Murphy (GA)

After a few months of not being regulated, the last few weeks Murphy has had good numbers - I don't understand why he just started having dandruff now - he eats only wet (Royal Canin novel protein venison and Young Again) I'm going to get some of the Omega 3 - thanks for the product information

7. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

I think that is way better than what I had for Genghis! I love the mercury-free!

8. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Can't answer that, Carol, but I will say when Genghis was "mending" she blew coat (and shed skin) like no tomorrow. I like to think of it as rebirth!

9. Squalliesmom

Squallie did, too. Just an amazing amount of shedding and flaky skin (dandruff)! It was indeed a rebirth! His coat had gotten rough and slightly oily-looking with the untreated diabetes, now his coat is soft and plush and shiny, may be the nicest it's ever been.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  10. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Sorry to go off topic, but I like your new pic, Lucy!
    Anyway, Carol, let us know how your kitty does!

11. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Will do -- I need to order the Omega 3 (was going to today but ........)

12. Squalliesmom

@SpecklesandMe , Thank you! :)

SpecklesandMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.