? Dasher going a little wonky

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kitty mom, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I've noticed over the last two weeks that Dasher has been at the water bowl a little too often for my comfort so I've been check his bg every few day and I started with the low 90's and slowly going up over the last three days, it was 99 ,92, 95 and today 107, although I know this is still in the "normal range" I have a gut feeling he's coming out of remission.
    There has been no increase in the litter box and I've looked inside at his teeth and all looks good from what I can tell. Todays 107 was taken 6 hours after his last meal and I'll try and get another one after and hour or so after he eats.

What should I be doing at this point other than keeping an eye out ? My boys are usually in the 70's & 80's go this is a high number for him although in the normal range. I'm holding my breath here in hope it goes back down. I think I will withhold the YAZC and stick with the wet FF low carb only.

Any advice?

2. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

24 min after eating it's at 118, thinking its normal to rise after eating. I have one test strip left so I'll save it for tomorrow and see where he's at.
    Guess I'll be at Walmart buying more strips tomorrow because I'm thinking we will be back to shots soon, might have give the vet a call on Monday too....we"ll see...paws crossed it come down

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you taken Dasher to the vet lately? I'd get blood work done before giving insulin. Make sure you get a thyroid test done - increased water intake can be a sign. Also get his teeth checked - something brewing there can cause them to fall out of remission. Good luck - I hope it's just a blip. Maybe stress from the holidays?

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

If you're getting blood work done, it'd be no harm to get a kidney panel, too.

I, too, hope it's just a blip.

Mogs

5. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

He haven't had any bloodwork done in a long while, everything has been going great. I will get him into the vet if his number doesn't lower, I would never give insulin without a vet check first, I don't even have any.
    It was 13 months on the 23rd that he went OTJ..... Crossed paws and fingers

6. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Will say a prayer for Dasher! Goof has kinda been bouncing around a little too, but no other changes.

7. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Checked him this morning he was at 40 ....not sure why I got this reading, I also don't believe it as he never would go this low.
    I've had my meter for 14 months and haven't needed to change the battery and it seems to be fine. This was my last test strip and they were still good , I need to get out today to but a new pack , I'm wondering if I should just buy a new meter too ?
    Thoughts?

8. Critter Mom

Do you have test solution for the meter? Might be worth running a check on it to confirm it's working OK.

I just lurve your avatar photo! :cat:

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

When you get an unexpected reading you should do a retest.

10. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Bought a new meter and strips , 105 at 4 1/2 hours of his last feeding. Yes we're still in the normal range but like I said this is hight for him.
    Larry...I ran out of strips so I couldn't re-test, it was the last one. I don't buy them too often because both are in remission
    Critter mom....I decided to just but a new meter.

11. Critter Mom

I can relate to that. I'm all for any and every thing that gives peace of mind. :)

12. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Thought I would get a bg on him just now, 147 ugh ! He hasn't been drinking much water the past day and really thought I was going to see a number well inside the green.
    Guess my next step is calling the vet and getting him back on insulin.
    I'm dreading testing Blitzen tomorrow as two falling out of remission will be a little two much for me to deal with at once.

13. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

After pretty much taking away the FF and free feeding YAZC Dasher is now at 95 down from 147, I will grab a test on Blitzen to see if he's come down a little although he was still in the green but the high end of green.
    I'm wondering if the OTJ cats here that are suddenly out of remission of the FF has something to do with it.

14. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I'm worried about Michael also.:( He has been OTJ for 5mos. His #'s @ 5am were 313 @+3 285 and @+6.5 281. I hope this is just a blip. Everything else seems to be o.k.
    and he eats low carb wet food. (Friskies & Sheba pate) The vet is closed today . I will test again on Mon. and if still out of range I will visit the vet. He had blood work done in Nov. all o.k.

15. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I too am very suspicious of FFeast being part of the reason my Radar has come out of remission. He was doing great and had not received a drop of insulin from me since July of 2015. He has been eating more FF lately and about a week ago he started asking for water at the sink again and then he acted like he didn't feel well. At first I attributed it to the stress caused by the extra holiday confusion in our normally very quiet house. When I took a BG test and discovered that he was very high at 358 I knew he needed insulin and went to see the vet. He is showing some of the symptoms of pancreatitis but I think we caught it early because he's been much more willing to eat today. :cat: I've decided to take all the FF off the menu and go back to giving him Weruva varieties which he really enjoys. I'm hoping that we can get him back to remission soon.

16. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I continue to see their number going back into the 70's. Dasher went from 148 to 95 in a matter of days when I cut way back on the FF. Like I said I'm free feeding them the YAZC but do give them like a 1/2 tsp of the FF here and there although they take just a few bites and then walk away. Something had to change with the FF as my boys have been eating it regularly with no problems. I also haven't really seen much of a increase of water intake with the YAZC .

17. Critter Mom

Very valuable thread.

18. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Now I'm a little confused, Blitzen is in the 130's and Dasher was in normal range as of yesterday. I had focused mostly on Dasher since Blitzen was still in the green at last check.
    The new plan ...I just feed both of them and picked up all food. I will test them again in 4 or 5 hours and see what we have. I did read how some cats do well with zero carbs and other do better with a little carb.
    Could they have gotten a virus of some sort? There's has to be a common link here because what are the odds of both falling out of remission at the same time?

19. Critter Mom

That's true. Also the size of meals can have an influence.

20. blu

blu Member

Blu is wonky, too, it's frustrating. Just went to Petco and bought a bunch of (more expensive!!!) diabetic-approved brands and am pulling FF all together to see if that changes anything. I agree, it seems strange a lot of cats are recently back on insulin and many eat FF. In another thread I mentioned I emailed FF about formula changes to their Classics line, but I haven't received a response. I'm looking forward to reading and posting what happens to out kitties when off of FF.

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Tested at the 4 hour after last meal , Dasher was 93 , Blitzen 83.... Who knows what's going on. I went back to the feeding schedule of wet food every 4-5 hours with their tablespoon of YAZC 3 time a day. I did cut down the wet to a 1/4 can each instead of 1/3 of a can at each feeding.
    I'm not testing again for a few day and see where we are at that point.

blu likes this.
  22. Critter Mom

@Kitty mom - Might be an idea to keep a note of batch numbers on any wet food varieties you serve.

blu likes this.
  23. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Both my cats are holding between 83 - 115 , I guess sice these are in the normal range still I'll wait on a vet visit.
    There have been no other changes in drinking or litter box and their happy and look good.
    Are these just their new normal numbers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.