dawn effect / BG test timing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura and Quincy, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

I was wondering if anyone has played around with their shot times and noticed a difference in their cat's AMPS values, holding the insulin dose constant? I ask because I test my cat at/before dawn (at 5:30am local time), and recently started to wonder if I tested him after he'd been awake for a couple of hours (i.e., well after dawn), if I'd see different AMPS values. My cat is such a piggy, it would be hard for me to test him at 5:30am, not feed him for a few hours, and then test him again to find out! Even with food, though, he does come down a lot from AMPS/AMBG to the +3 measure.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Interesting. However, to do the test you would have to slowing transition both his AM and PM shot and feeding times to be three hours later. It may also be hard to differentiate between a dawn effect and just the added amount of time that the cat is active before testing/shot/eating and the the fact that BGs tend to rise after peak. I test way before dawn at about 4-4:15 AM.

3. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Actually right now he's on an OTJ trial (fingers crossed!) so I wouldn't have to worry about fiddling with shot times, which I would not be able to do as I'm out the door NLT 6am on weekdays. But maybe if he's off insulin. I'll do a check or two on a weekend day to compare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.