Daylight Savings Time (US) Ends Sunday, November 4th

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill & Alex (GA), Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Written by @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    Thank you for sharing!

[​IMG]

Daylight Savings time ends on Sunday, November 4th at 2:00 AM. For most of us in the U.S., this means it’s almost time to “Fall back.” The time change is rather inconvenient for Lantus & Lev Landers because we try so hard to stick to a 12 hour schedule.

If you make no adjustments and just shoot at your regular time on the clock Sunday morning, your AMPS will be 13 hours after your PMPS the night before. This will cause higher BG’s for most cats, as it will partially deplete the insulin depot. Remember shooting late is equivalent to a dose decrease, so if your cat is in a phase where she is running tight numbers or earning dose reductions, this might slow things down.

If you don’t want to have a +13 in the mix, you can move your time ahead a little at a time to minimize the impact on your cat’s numbers.

Option A (move in 15 minute increments once a day): pick any 4 days during the week to move your shot time 15 minutes later. This option requires a little planning, but should have very minimal impact on BG’s.

Example: regular time is 7:00
    • Thursday AMPS at 7:00
    • Thursday PMPS at 7:15
    • Friday AMPS at 7:15
    • Friday PMPS at 7:30
    • Saturday AMPS at 7:30
    • Saturday PMPS at 7:45 (you will set your clock back overnight)
    • Sunday AMPS at 6:45, which is the “old” 7:45
    • Sunday PMPS at 7:00, which has you on schedule for Monday morning
    Option B (move in 15 min. increments twice a day).This may have a slight effect on BG numbers.

• Friday AMPS at 7:00
    • Friday PMPS at 7:15
    • Saturday at 7:45 (set clock back at bedtime)
    • Sunday AMPS at 8:00 - your "old" 7 and you're back on schedule

Option C (move in 30 minute increments):
    pick 2 cycles during the week to move your shot time 30 minutes later. This *could* have a little more impact on BG’s for cats who are sensitive to time changes.

• Friday AMPS at 7:00
    • Friday PMPS at 7:30
    • Saturday PMPS at 8:00 (you will set your clock back overnight)
    • Sunday AMPS at 7:00, which is the “old” 8:00

Option D: (From Jill...)
    "Bypass all the fooling around with adjusting shot times over a period of several days. An occasional shot that's an hour late is not that big a deal. Most kitties won't even notice! Many of you are sleep deprived. Sleep in the extra hour and don't think any more of it than a bonus being thrown your way! That's what i'll be doing... and have always done."

[Please bump this post until 11/4]

Sylvie and RobinHarley like this.
  2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

5. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

So I'm guessing it's not entirely necessary to do the adjusting over a period of time but we would still need to shoot an hour later? This is kind of confusing when dealing with it for the first time :confused:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you aren't going to do any adjustments, then one of your shots is going to be 13 hours away from the prior one.

We "fall back".....so what was 7am is now going to be 6am so between 7pm the night before and 6am the next morning is only 11 hours so you'd be shooting an hour early

Got it backwards.....I hate this time of year!!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

I feel like I'm going to make a nuisance of myself for having such a hard time understanding this and I apologize :banghead:

We test/shoot later than most people here: test at/by 9:30 AM/PM and shoot at 10:00 AM/PM, so what time would we be shooting at when Daylight Savings ends?

Again, I apologize for being so obtuse.

8. Chris & China (GA)

ARGGG.....I hate this time of year, even when we're trying to make it "easy" by not doing adjustments!!

OK....if you test at 9:30 and don't want to make small adjustments, you'd do this:

Saturday PM....9:30pm....Set your clock back overnight
    Sunday AM.....9:30am (which will actually be 13 hours later from your prior shot)

9. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

OK. And then after that we just continue to test/shoot as normal, right?
    And yeah, it's definitely a hassle :arghh:

10. Chris & China (GA)

Right....but since you'll be shooting an hour late, it may act a little like a dose decrease....just something to keep in the back of your mind if the numbers look a little wonky for a cycle or two

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  11. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.