? Dental Clens Pads: Can Gluconate/Glycerin/Polysorbate affect BG & Has anyone used Dr Foster&Smith?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tanya and Ducia, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get feedback on the Dental Cleansing Pads by Dr. Foster & Smith.

I am a little hesitant to order because of the ingredient's list - can any of the below listed chemicals have effect on the BG numbers?

Ingredients: 0.1% Chlorhexidine Gluconate
    Other Ingredients: Carmine Color, Glycerin, Peppermint Flavor, Polysorbate 80, Water.
    HERE is the full info for the product I wanted to buy.

I would also appreciate to hear from anyone who has used the cleansing pads.

My cat Ducia might be having early stage of gingivitis. Vet/Dental Spec visit is not possible for economic reasons at present.

I wanted to try Healthy Mouth solution - something to add to Ducia's drinking water/food but a suggestion was made that Chlorhexidine Gluconate can give better results if applied/used topically on the teeth and gums then Homeopathic remedy added to drinking water could.

Every thought/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

ETA: Someone recommended to wipe/brush her teeth using plain Baking Soda. I am not sure if soda is safe for cats:confused:. Has anyone ever heard of this method? Baking Soda is in a lot of human grade tooth pasts, that was the logic behind this recommendation.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Reason for edit: Spelling/Clarif.
  2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just did some quick :bookworm: and says tiny amounts of baking soda won't cause significant harm to cats if ingested but I didn't like that result :p. So went and looked for natural toothpastes for brushing kitties teefers. Found this 100% Pure Calcium Montmorillonite Clay

Main Article excerpt:
    Using Calcium Montmorillonite Clay as a Cat Toothpaste

It’s as easy as sprinkling a little clay on a damp infant toothbrush or a piece of damp, sterile gauze wrapped around your finger. Gently brush the teeth and lightly move the brush/gauze over the gums. If you use a toothbrush, rinse it well after using as the clay will dry hard. Since so little is required, it’s much more economical than manufactured toothpaste and you avoid all of the extra ingredients.

If you and your cat are new to tooth brushing, be patient. You don’t want it to be a stressful, cat-scratching event every time so work hard to make it a pleasant experience. Initially, you should help her become accustomed to having you brush her teeth by letting her feel the brush or your finger in her mouth briefly, allowing her dictate how long it remains there. If she’s totally against it, try rubbing the gauze or toothbrush over unseasoned cooked fish or other favorite food until she’s used to the procedure. Of course, she’ll deserve lots of praise and a healthy treat when you’re done

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  3. Tanya and Ducia

Thank you Young. I think I'll try the clay.
    Ducia has mild inflammation on he gums - pink along the tooth. Wouldn't brushing irritate the gums further? Even with the clay which I agree sounds so less harsh as baking soda?
    I thought of finding something to wipe her gums with to rid the inflammation and to start brushing after gums are not inflamed.

4. Tanya and Ducia

@Yong

I came across something that I think will amaze you about the clay - :eek: Mahatma Gandhi was addicted to it?!OMG
    HERE is from article:
    1. Montmorillonite Clay is Addictive
    A previous cohort study revealed that out of 22% of individuals that use montmorillonite clay for prolonged periods, nearly 8% remains addicted. This study went ahead to mention high profile people such as Mahatma Gandhi and Jordan Rubin who were addicted to montmorillonite clay so much that it became part of their diet. Any attempt of withdrawal from this addiction leads to withdrawal syndrome (Grim, 1982, p. 230).

5. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I saw a video the other day where someone rubber banded a toothbrush to the bathroom faucet. The kitty LOVED it.
    The kitty was gnawing and playing with the moving toothbrush (the rubber band allowed it to wiggle side to side, but not fall down). If the kitty is doing the gnawing it shouldn't be hurting or damaging the gum line, right? That's my theory.
    I am not grave enough to try to brush a cat's teeth. I have a hard time getting them to do anything that's not their idea... independent little buggers.
    My dog is an Italian Greyhound, and they are notorious for bad teeth. We started using a water dish additive for healthy teeth at the recommendation from our vet. I didn't even think it could be interfering with my diabetic cat. I'm interested in knowing the answer too!

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Interesting :bookworm:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.