? Devo is staying under 200, usually around 135

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ItsMeAngie, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsMeAngie

ItsMeAngie New Member

I've been reading various threads today and realize that I'm probably not taking care of Devo appropriately.

I have not been giving insulin to Devo for the past two weeks because I'd read (not in these forums) that shooting when under 200 was a bad idea. Only one morning was he over 200 (223) and I saw that my son had left the kibble bowl out. I decided to not shoot because I wanted to see if he could adjust on his own. He was 130 that night.

This morning was his highest read at 170 and couldn't find evidence of forgotten kibble.

I read in the forums today that it's best to wean a cat off of the insulin - his most recent doses were less than 1.o, usually .5.

I had moved to testing just in the mornings, but will test again tonight. If he's above 100 should I give him .5? I'm really scared of doing so because he went hypo once and it freaked me out. But if he's doing what I've coined a "slow burn" and his numbers need to be lower I'll put my big girl panties on.

2. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Do you have a spreadsheet with all your readings on it? That will help when it comes to getting dosing advice.

If you don't have a spreadsheet set up could you please work on getting one set up? Here is a link to the spread sheet we use http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

If you have any problems setting up the spread sheet just ask for help & someone will be more then happy to help you out.

As for dosing advice, I can't help you with that as I don't use prozinc but I'll tag Lucy @Squalliesmom she may be able to help you.

ItsMeAngie likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We have guidelines for using ProZinc, including not shooting below 150 mg/dL on a human meter unless you have very good mid-cycle test data showing it would be safe.

ItsMeAngie and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sadly, I can't help you, I don't use Pro Zinc and am not familiar enough with it to be able to make any recommendations re: dosing. Try posting on the ProZinc/PZI forum, they can probably help you best. ;)

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

I will second @Vegetable in encouraging you to set up a spreadsheet! It really is an invaluable tool for you, and also helps us to better answer your questions if we can get a clear picture of Devo's patterns and trends. :):)

ItsMeAngie and Sharon14 like this.
  5. ItsMeAngie

ItsMeAngie New Member

I'll set up a spreadsheet. I started by manually writing things down and am now using an app. How far back should I go? He was dx 9/1/2015.

Thanks for the help!

6. Squalliesmom

I'd go back for at least a few weeks, maybe a month or more if anything significant occurred?

ItsMeAngie likes this.
  7. ItsMeAngie

ItsMeAngie New Member

It's not really too much time, so I'll just go back to the beginning.

I'm looking at the SS and am not quite sure how to enter the data. Is there a link with instructions? I've renamed & published, just not sure how/where to enter the data. We have not tested more than twice a day.

ETA: N/M Got it! :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. ItsMeAngie

ItsMeAngie New Member

Spreadsheet completed. Will xPost in ProZinc forum.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Yay! Your SS is up, and we can see it, good job! :)

ItsMeAngie likes this.
  10. PAMELA ALLEN

PAMELA ALLEN Member

I'm in the same boat with you!! My cat is on Vetsulin, he was just diagnosed in November, his numbers the last week have been hovering around 200 or below and I work during the day and I am always scared to give him a shot for fear of him going too low while I am not at home.....

11. ItsMeAngie

ItsMeAngie New Member

Devo's numbers have been even lower. Haven't given him insulin since 11/18/15. As long as I keep him out of the kibble his numbers don't go up.

Not being home would be super scary!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.