Devon, how was Mocha's dental?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gia and Quirk, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

I've been thinking about you guys all day. Pan had three teeth pulled, both fangs and a nasty premolar. He's home and a little unsteady but alert and doing fine. Let us know what happened with your baby when you get home!

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

hi everyone, we are back. What an exhausting day, both mentally and emotionally (and pocket book wise!) The vet at first did a quick oral exam on mocha, with us in the room. She said her teeth were not the worst she had seen, but they were pretty bad, which shocked me and peter since we assumed her teeth would be mainly ok. But the vet said that eventually a whole mouth extraction might be necessary, but they would do the cleaning and we could do home care and hope for the best. We had mochas bloodwork done while we were there, to make sure she was ok to be put under. One thing went well our day, and that was almost every number she was "low" on before, from september, showed improvement in todays blood work, which was all good according to the vet, other then her glucose which was "high" Not surprising.

We went over the vet's list on what was going to be done, what the cost was (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), what the pain med was, she had her down as receiving prednisone, but I told her I did not want that, and she instantly agreed and apologized for trying to give that to mocha. Instead we were sent home with both buprenex and metacam? She said neither of those were going to harm mocha with her being a diabetic. I knew buprenex from here, but was not 100% familiar with metacam. She said that was for inflammation.

We left her, yes I was crying, and went out while they did the prep work. We called them about two hours later to see what was going on, and the vet told us that she had been given her medicine to make her drowsy so they could put her under.

About an hour after that, we got the call. They had done some x rays and a more thorough oral exam. Vet said that 8 teeth needed to come out due to lesions that were causing her pain. Two of them were her front canines, and I forget where the others were right now, but we were sent home with a paper saying what they were. Most of them were up top, and I believe one on the bottom. She also said that one of the lower teeth has an inner lesion? which is not causing problems right now, but will have to have an eye kept on it, and will most likely need to be removed.

We REALLY did not know what to do as we had only allotted a certain amount of money for the cleaning, and what we were quoted in an e mail was SEVERAL hundred dollars off of what was on the paper in front of us at the vets office, but at that point, what can you do but go through with it, or go back home? We weren't about to go home after the drive there and what not. We finally came to agree that we would simply have to go into debt for the extractions. So we did. The amount due at the end nearly brought tears back into my eyes.

Mocha has stitches that will dissolve (?) on their own and she should not have to go back unless there are problems. The vet would like to recheck her in two months because she had a good bit of gingivitis on her teeth. We bought toothpaste for her (actually, it was "included" in the price) it is chicken flavor, and I will have to put on here what the ingredients are to make sure it really is safe for diabetic cats. The vet reassured us several times it was, but this vet is strictly a dental vet, so I'm not 100% sure she knows a lot about diabetics.

The car ride home was much quieter then going out there. On the way out there mocha sang the blues to us, but on the way back she was to dazed to do much of anything. Peter rode in the back with her while I drove (this is UNHEARD of in our family!) but I couldn't stand to see mocha without her teeth and dazed and possibly bleeding. She did great on the way home and is now in our room with peter.

When we left the vets, we tested mocha, she read "high", it's about a two hour drive home and when we tested her here, she was at 332. That was almost a 1/2 hr ago. Since then she has ate a 1/2 of a 1/4 5.5oz can of special kitty turkey and giblets. The last time mocha ate was at 11:30 last night. She would not eat at the vets office. Her food is soaked in water, almost like pure soup and she is eating it "ok"

Well, that about sums up our day. We got copies of everything that was done including her lab work and if you have questions I will try to answer them. I am going to go sit with my girl and let her know how much I love her.

Thanks again everyone, for the prayers and positive thoughts today.

3. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Hoping you all have a good night, and that Mocha is feeling much better (with nice low BGs!) in the morning.

Get some rest- you deserve it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.