Diabetes and ibs

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jtcatt, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

My 12 year old cat, Kitten jas diabetes and ibs. She is on 1.5 of prozinc and her numbers are finally improving. Had our first under 300 reading today. She's running and playing again. But everytime I up her insulin it causes her ibs to act up and she has watery brown diarrhea that stinks. Eating a lot if wet food is also making it worse. It's been 3 months since she switched to mostly wet but it's too much for her tummy. I can't put her on steroids for ibs because of the diabetes. Any ideas?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I don't know too much about IBS, but I've heard many people use Florastor probiotic to help with diarrhea. You can find it in most pharmacies. You may want to post this question on the Main Health Forum to get more eyes on it.

3. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Thank you

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I do think some probiotics would probably help. The IBS is tough...in the end if you DO need to go on steroids, that may be what you have to do...and we can help you dose around it if needed.

Jtcatt likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

On another note, there are more kitties here with diabetes and IBS/IBD. I'll tag a couple people to chime in for you :)
    @StephG @Phoebes @Lisa and Smoky

Jtcatt likes this.
  6. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

My Phoebe has the IBD and pancreatitis. The best thing so far we have used is the 100% natural organic pumpkin in her food. It takes the tiniest amount because she does not like Anything added, so I do about 1/8 of a teaspoon about 3 different feedings in wet food. We also use gabapentin, for the inflammation. We tried the steroids which caused her diabetes. Gabapentin can come in tasteless powder, or compounded in an oil to go in food. Vet says if we have to eventually treat her with steroids we will just have to work the insulin around it. So far what we are doing is working for Phoebes. She has pooped nice formed stools, for 3 months.

Jtcatt likes this.
  7. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Yeah, finding something she will eat that also isn't too high in carbs is a huge challenge. I've been reading that people di good feeding them duck, rabbit or venison as the protein but the carbs seem to be high in them and I'm already feeding her some dry food daily so I'm skeptical. She gets dry because the more wet she eats the worse thing get.

8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Went through food chart for you:
    Beyond Pate Grain Free:
    Duck and Sweet Potato - 2% carb
    Quail and Carrot - 3% carb

Blue Wilderness:
    Duck - 3% carb

CANIDAE Under the Sun - Grain Free (@Petco):
    Duck - 3% carb

EVO:
    Duck in Gravy - 3% carb

Hounds and Gatos:
    Duck - 1% carb
    Rabbit - 5% carb

Nature's Logic:
    Duck & Salmon - 3% carb
    Rabbit - 4% carb

Nature's Variety Instinct Raw:
    Rabbit - 3% carb

Wild Calling:
    Rabbit Burrow Rabbit cat - 4% carb
    Magic Meadow Buffalo cat - 2% carb

Wysong (Not complete nutrition alone):
    Rabbit - 3% carb
    Duck - 5% carb

Ziwipeak:
    Rabbit and Lamb - 3% carb
    Venison - 3% carb

Jtcatt and Lisa and Smoky like this.
  9. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I don't know if this helps you or not.
    Smoky had to go on budesonide which is a newer steroid. I do have to dose around it and it has helped his IBD quite a lot.
    I found that after a month of taking it his BG started leveling out and his numbers are so much better now. Another thing I noticed with smoky is that the FF can give him diarrhea. He does has a lot of food allergies though. Is there a possibility your kitty has those too?

Jtcatt likes this.
  10. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

I'm thinking the ff is a problem along with the stress of everything. Wow thise are some good options to try. Will prob spend a fortune I don't have trying to find something she likes that agrees with her.

11. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Wow, thank you so much.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

A lot of pet stores will give you sample or small size to try, and if your kitty doesn't like it/tolerate it, you can bring it back. Might be worth calling around to see if any stores in your area do that so you don't waste too much. Another option is writing to the different companies and asking for samples -- but that's a lot more work!

Jtcatt likes this.
  13. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Chuck has "unoffical" IBD. I didn't have the money for a biopsy and they treated with fortiflora and an antibiotic and it helped. I think only because I switched him to mostly wet food when he was getting the fortiflora for a month. As soon as he went back on dry the noisy bathroom breaks started. He use to poop on the spot when he puked or sneezed. (now it's usually only a toot) Once we switched him to wet he did much better in the potty. He does best on half a tsp of pumpkin puree. I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this site but I found a lot of info there before Chuck was dx with FD. www.ibdkitties.net
    I have been tempted to push his IBD issue and request at least a trial treatment because of his high dose needs but until we recover some funds that will have to wait.

Kris & Teasel and Jtcatt like this.
  14. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Kitten is the opposite, wet food makes it worse but she needs wet because of the diabetes. Trying to control both is difficult.

15. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Have you seen this site
    http://www.ibdkitties.net
    Some good info. You need to try a food without carrageenan, and other gums. @Carol & Murphy has done a lot of research and can give you a few choices

16. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Murphy would vomit from all wet food - so I cut out the ones with carrageenan and some of the gums - doesn't leave a whole lot of brands
    Here is the list I have found
    Bravo
    ziwipeak
    Impulse by Halo
    Kaho
    Nature's variety
    If anyone knows of more, I'd be interested

Sharon14 and Jtcatt like this.
  17. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Thank you

18. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I forgot - another brand Murphy likes and can eat is Only Natural Pet Power Pates - sold on the only natural pet website

Jtcatt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.