Diabetes resulting from pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by David Lasker, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Lasker

David Lasker New Member

I am a new member with my cat Ali. Her background is posted in the Welcome Forum. She became diabetic after having acute pancreatitis. She has been taking prednisolone for small cell lymphoma which may have also contributed to her diabetes.

I am interested in connecting with other forum members whose cats also developed diabetes from pancreatitis. I would love to hear your experience about insulin dosages, hypoglycemia, and whether the diabetes ever resolved itself on its own, or if you had to continue with insulin for the rest of the cat's life.

Thank you for your help!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi David and Ali, It would be helpful if you would create a signature that will be appended to each of your posts, and give other members a brief description of Ali's particulars. The info could include Ali's name, age, weight, diagnosis date, what kind of insulin, dosage, what kind of home testing meter you use, what kind of food you feed her, other medical conditions/issues and any medications you give her. Just select your user name in the upper right corner of the page, and then select Signature. All information can be updated/edited at any time. There are other members who have dealt with, or are dealing with pancreatitis, and have had experience with prednisolone. You will receive responses.

3. David Lasker

David Lasker New Member

Thank you for the input; I created my signature.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum David and Ali.

My Leo also has Small Cell Lymphoma (SCL). He has been on prednisolone and Chlorambucil (chemo) for about 1 year. So we are happy that he has responded to treatment.

Leo also had diabetes before the SCL. We know he had Acromegaly, and he got SRT in Sept 2016. I think he still has some acro and also pancreatic diabetes. One thing I noticed. He gets pred in the A.M.. It drives up his glucose during the first 12 hours. As a result, his dose is typically:
    AM dose = 4.0 - 4.5
    PM dose = 2.5 - 3.0

He does not eat as much as night, and the pred wears off. Some diabetes does get resolved. Food is a critical component. Low carb high protein wet food is a must. We feed our kittehs Fancy Feast Classic.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My Max had chronic pancreatitis for several years before becoming diabetic. I did not treat with prednisolone. I treated his symptoms with cerenia or ondansetron for nausea mostly. Occasionally I gave a little cyproheptadine as an appy stimulant. He didn’t vomit but instead was nauseous and became inappetent. I sometimes gave buprenorphine for pain. He did not have IBD. I think most that need prednisolone do.

JeffJ likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi David, and welcome to you and Ali on this forum. My Neko was diabetic, but like Jeff's Leo, was diabetic from acromegaly. She did have a couple of GI upset incidents later on, with a slightly high Spec fPl, before she added likely small cell to her resume. We could not biopsy due to her heart conditions. Neko was on budesonide because her heart couldn't take pred. Budesonide did help her GI system inflammation, and did not impact her blood sugar.

I believe home testing is essential. Neko's good dose varied up and down between 8.75 units and 0.25 units over the years. I wouldn't have known that without testing. In my time here I have seen some cats with pancreatitis go off of insulin. And have seen going from pred to budesonide help some, though not all kitties. Some need to stay on pred, in which case we work the dose around the necessary medicine.

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.