Diabetes using prozinc and hyperthryoidism advice needed

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by C&C, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C&C

C&C Member

The vet ran a fruc test it seemed to show that Chloe was going into remission or needed less insulin. We dropped her insulin slowly and a new test was run but seems( I haven't seen the labs yet was told by Phone) that she isn't into remission. I have been reading that cats with hyperthyroidism can show lower fruc readings. Her liver panel was up also and she showed dehydration. The vet said she was testing for ketones and I asked them to check her thyroid panels. They called to say her thyroid level was 11 again I haven't seen the tests but assume this is total t4. Chloe is drinking a lot of water and peeing and we have been slowly increasing her insulin. She has lost a lot of weight in March she was at 10 lbs and is now at 7.2 lbs. I know it's tough to figure this all out as they could have many things.

My question here is would you all share how you handle your cat if they have diabetes and are hyperthyroid.

Wht meds are they on and type-pill, liquid, ear etc? Methimazole? What dose based on what level that your cats thyroid panel showed? What side effects have you seen and how do you handle that? How do you space out your prozinc dose time wise versus when you give your cat her hyperthyroid treatment? Anything that you can share to look for, do, determine if the vet is figuring this all out correctly on her condition and dose would be appreciated.

Thank you..Cheryl & Chloe

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

This might be a good question to post out on the main forum to get more eyes on it. I don't have any experience with hyperthyroid, but someone out there might.

The one that I can add to this is that fructosamine tests are really not a reliable way to know if a cat is in remission. Home testing is a much more accurate assessment of that. I'm afraid I can't recall from your previous posts if you do home test already, and I don't see a spreadsheet. If you don't and you're interested in learning, we can help you get started.

3. C&C

C&C Member

I will post it on the main forum. No, we haven't done home testing. Yes you sent details on this before--thank you for that detail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.