Diabetic can’t won’t eat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Taylor Wade, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taylor Wade

Taylor Wade New Member

hello,
    I have a friend who suggested I join this group as she has found everyone very helpful with her diabetic baby. I have a cat named pumpkin who has been diabetic for 2 years. He was in remission and not having to receive insulin for the last 3 months. He took a turn on wednesday. He stopped eating and drinking water. I took him to the Vet where he stayed for 3 days. They ran blood work and didn’t see any issues. I picked him up today but they had a hard time getting him to eat last night and this morning. They had to syringe feed him food. They gave him fluids so he has been hydrated. They sent him home today in hopes that maybe in his own house he would be more willing to eat. His glucose was 600 this morning and they gave him insulin.
    Any help with him not eating would be so greatly appreciate. He is laying around like a bump on a log when he literally was full of life and running around 3 days ago.
    Thanks!!!!

2. Nancie C Jiménez

Nancie C Jiménez New Member

Does he have any favorite foods just to maybe wet his whistle??

3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Hi Taylor,
    I am new here and was looking over the board and saw your post. I know you posted this awhile ago and I hope Pumpkin is doing better (My last kitty was named Pumpkin : )

Wanted to give some info I found helpful if you are still struggling or for future reference. I recently switched my cat to wet food and she is pretty picky.

Recently tried the Fancy Feast Classic Chicken Pate (pink can) and she loves it. She can't eat it straight, it is too thick for her, I take 1/2 of the 3 oz can and add a teaspoon or so of water to make a thick "soup" and she will eat it all. If cold leftovers in fridge, I heat for about 4 seconds in microwave, stir up and test with my finger to make sure no hots spots, the warming up will make the smell come out more, she does not like it cold.

Another food I found she really likes is Tiki chicken but it is not cheap, they carry it at Petco. It is just high quality white meat chicken in broth with added vitamins. It honestly smells good enough for people to eat.

Something that also works temporarily is chicken, beef or turkey baby food in a jar ( not ham though, too salty), this is not a long term solution though because does not have all key nutrients cats need over the long term. This is what I had to hand feed my 22 year old cat when she would not eat anything else and was very sick.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Did they do a pancreatitis test

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.