Diabetic cat losing weight again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rlavelle, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlavelle

rlavelle New Member

Hello, my 1 year 5 month old cat was diagnosed with diabetes a little over a month ago. He eats about two 5.5 oz. cans of grain free 4-Health wet food a day, and I give him two shots of ProZinc Insulin 12 hours apart. 1U dosage each shot. I tested him a few days ago about 5 hours since his last shot and meal, and his glucose meter read 315. Before we got him started on insulin he was 700. Suddenly, just this week he has started having excessive diarrhea, throwing up and losing weight, especially in the hips. He also is drinking and peeing a lot more. He also is starving. Even when he seemed stable he was. He constantly is looking for food and we can hardly keep him away from the dogs food. What can I do to stabilize him better? Thank you!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Did you change his diet? A diet change can cause GI problems like diarrhea.
    Do you have more BG information? To see what is going on one really needs the BG before the shot and again between shots to see what is happening.
    Diabetes in a 1 1/2 year old is abnormal and may indicate other medical problems.
    Did you vet discuss possible other problems?

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

The eating, drinking and peeing a lot are all symptoms of unregulated diabetes the loosing of strength in his back legs is also common in this cases, what are his blood glucose numbers now? Are you home testing? Was he tested for ketones?

Has any other analysis or tests (blood chemistry, urinalysis , x-rays , ultrasound )been made to make sure there's no other condition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.