Diabetic cat needs new home urgently!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer and Porky, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hello all -

I posted around 2 weeks ago that my younger sister had passed away leaving 13 cats, including a sugar kitty, Peanut.

A friend of hers is handling the estate, plus the adoption of all of her kitties! He's taking 3 himself, but I said I would try to help him find a home for Peanut.

Here's some info on Peanut that my sister compiled:

Born sometime in 1998
    Male, fixed, DLH, Grey and White

Full Name – Mr. Peanut Horatio McCuddles

Peanut has diabetes and is currently getting 2 units of insulin (Lantus) twice a day (total of 4 units). He should also be on a diabetes diet, but that has been impossible for me to do. He was supposed to have his latest Glucose Curve test done this past March (2010), but I couldn’t afford it, so that needs to be done asap. (To see if his current dosage needs to be changed.) He usually gets tested every 3 to 6 months, depending on the test results. Also, he has a pad of fat on his belly about the size of a half egg. I had it biopsied, so it’s only fat, it’s not a tumor. But, it should be watched to make sure it doesn’t get any bigger. He also has some weird round thing about an inch below his right ear near the back of his neck, It seems to be in the skin, but it should be looked at, at some point.

Peanut is like a rag-doll kitty…you can pick him up and flip him over and hold him in all sorts of ways, and he just lies there and takes it. He loves to lie next to you when watching TV and jump on your shoulder and sling himself across the back of your neck when you first come home from work. He is a very friendly cat and a good “uncle” cat. He took total care of some newborn kittens I was raising…washing them and keeping them warm and safe, etc. He would probably get along well with any other cat(s), as long as the other cat(s) isn’t very aggressive.

There's a picture attached below....

I have given his current caretaker a Relion meter with some strips, there is a box of u-100 syringes (NOT with 1/2 unit markings), and I can provide 4 Lantus cartridges to the new owner - there is also a fairly current vial of Lantus which still has many doses left.

Peanut is located in Alhambra, CA, which is just slightly northeast of L.A., close to the Pasadena area.

Since his current caretaker needs to leave the state within the next week or two, we need to find him a home ASAP.

If you can help or know anyone who can, please let me know - you can post here, or PM me.

Thank you!!!

Attached Files:

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

he is adorable and love his name. Good luck with finding him a home.

3. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Very nice looking cat! :smile:

4. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

He is lovely. I sincerely wish that I could take him, but that is impossible for me at this time.

I hope that he finds a wonderful home very soon.

~M

5. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

Should anyone decide to adopt Peanut, DCIN will do its best to transport him to you, even if it means a cross-country flight. Long distance is no barrier.

There are some tips for adopting a diabetic cats on the DCIN blog here.

6. Jennifer and Porky

I just wanted to share some additional info, which may help someone decide to adopt this cute boy.

His current caretaker may be able to drop him off on his way back to Bloomington, Indiana - he is adopting 3 of her other cats, so will be driving back to Indiana with a carload of cats!

7. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Why is everything around Bloomington lately?!? :lol:

I wish I could take Peanut in, but I don't think I could handle 3 diabetic kitties in the house :shock:

8. Leslie & Maverick & Chaos-(GAs)

Leslie & Maverick & Chaos-(GAs) Member

He sounds like such a sweetheart!
    I wish I could afford to take him in.
    I hope he finds a furever home very soon.

9. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

He is gorgeous. Hope someone scoops him up.

10. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Angels please help find Peanuts a forever home .......Kath :-|

11. Jennifer and Porky

12. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Thanks for posting about Peanut on the DCIN Yahoo group Jennifer.

I also added him to the courtesy posting list on the DCIN blog this morning.

I sure hope he gets a home soon. He sounds like he will get along well with people and cats.

13. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Question about Peanut on DCIN Yahoo Group--

14. spacey

spacey Member

I sure hope he finds a home and soon. I have 15 cats or I would take him. One is recently diagnosed diabetic. My oldest (18) has CRF and I have to give her blood pressure meds. My 16 year old cat has Feline lower urinary tract problems and has undergone a perenial urethrostomy, plus a follow-up surgery several years later due to scarring/stricturing. So I have my hands pretty full. If there is anyone considering taking Peanut that has the time and resources to care for him, please do. If I can manage a diabetic cat, a CRF cat, and a cat with feline lower urinary tract issues, one diabetic cat should be easy. Best of luck to Peanut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.