Diabetic cat refusing to eat and drink, very lethargic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by yo0123yo, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Everything in the morning was normal and I gave him his usual one insulin shot (he gets two a day) he ate before I gave him the shot and he even ate an hour or two after as well. He woke up around noon and when I tried to give him his treats or any kind of food he turned up his nose at it and is not eating or drinking. Could this be ketoacidosis? He has a vet appointment tomorrow but thats another day. Should I give him an insulin shot will it possibly make him feel better? He definitely he seems a lot weaker than earlier as well. His bloodwork recently from the vet his urine ketone results say "1.5" and urine glucose says 500. Earlier he was attempting to vomit but couldn't. I'm confused on what to do an emergency vet will cost hundreds. I don't think it is hypoglycemia because he can see and walk, but just is very weak and tired all the time and obviously has no appetite at all. In case it was i tried rubbing a bit of corn syrup on his gums to no avail. I guess I need to know should I give him his insulin shot? Possible ketoacidosis? Thanks so much

2. What type of insulin and what's his normal dose? Is it safe to guess you are not home-testing his blood glucose?

3. I wouldn't assume ketoacidosis, but does his breath smell like nail-polish remover?

4. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

No we are not testing him at home, his blood glucose 2 weeks ago at the vet was 470. He is on Novolin N 1 unit once every 12 hours. His breath doesn't really smell like that too much he was just a different cat 12 hours ago is it something that just shows up like this? Should I give him insulin? Will insulin help if he is in ketoacidosis? He has a vet appointment in 24+ hours

5. If you are using novolin, it is important that he eats. Ketoacidosis can happen pretty quickly, and insulin is important if that is what it is. But without knowing his BG, I can't tell you it's okay to give a shot either.

I think I'd skip the shot and call the vet first thing in the morning to see what they advise.

6. atajev

atajev Member

I'm not sure if it could be ketoacidosis as I don't have any experience with that, but it sounds like you're sure there's something really wrong with your cat from the way you're describing it. :( Only you can judge based on the severity of the symptoms and your gut if this is something that needs to be seen right now or tomorrow, unfortunately.

I know that even if I decided to wait, I'd be physically in the vet's office at opening instead of waiting until my scheduled appointment time to try to get in earlier.

7. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

We have noticed his urine smells pretty strong much of the time recently as well but it has been 15+ hours since he has ate. will call vet in the morning what other signs of ketoacidosis should i look for?

8. Dehydration is usually a symptom. Along with acetone smelling breath. Lethargy can be too, but that is a symptom of plenty of other things besides ketoacidosis. Your vet can either check for ketones in his blood, or more easily, in his urine. And the presence of ketones in either doesn't automatically mean ketoacidosis. But testing for them is a great idea regardless.

William likes this.
  9. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

I just can't believe how he was totally normal before his nap and ever since he woke up he has been like this he's super tired, doesn't eat or drink, and he seems super weak like getting up seems like such an exhausting task but doesn't struggle to do so. He is just very weak and tired when walking thats why I ruled out hypoglycemia because when your BG is low he would be stumbling. I really wish I knew if I gave him any insulin shot if it would help him.

10. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Is there a pharmacy open near you?
    If so then I'd suggest getting some ketone test strips to test your kitty's urine with. (Ketodiastix or Ketostix, the first tests for ketones and glucose, and the second just tests for ketones).

Eliz

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

It's hard to know that without knowing what his blood glucose level is at this point. Also, as Carl says, it's important that he eats if being given the insulin.

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i agree with elizabeth. if you're concerned about ketones, pick up some strips to test urine ketones from the nearest pharmacy. they usually run about $10 to $15. follow the directions carefully.

here's some info about ketones and ketoacidosis for you to read: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketoacidosis.

13. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Even if his breath smells like acetone and he's not eating would it be a good idea to give an insulin shot since I will try to get him to the vet tomorrow. I wonder if he did get the insulin if he would feel better and decide to eat? I'm not going to give him his shot if he doesn't eat Thanks so much

14. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

I heard of these the only thing is actually getting urine from my cat seems like an impossible task

15. Jill & Alex (GA)

unfortunately, we don't have enough information to safely recommend giving another shot at the moment.

what time zone are you in?

16. Jill & Alex (GA)

i looked up your IP address (moderators have the ability to *see* IP addys). looks like you're in the central time zone so it must be around 2:30am there. i would imagine you'll be able to contact someone in your vet's office for help in about another 5 hours (7:30am).

your vet can check kitty's blood or urine for ketones as well as advise you about insulin.

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

in the meantime, whatever you can do to encourage kitty to eat and drink would be helpful.

alex will often eat if i sprinkle a little cheese (the stinkier, the better) on her food. i usually use parmesan. you could also try crushing dry food or treats and then sprinkle those on food. Some kitties like powdered oregano or even cat nip sprinkled on their food.

18. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

I took him to the vet 3 hours ago and he is still there. Before I took him, I attempted to force feed him some of his normal wet food but he ended up vomiting whatever he was able to swallow. He has urinated twice in the past 30 hours and just one bowel movement. Also when he goes to vomit he looks like he is really struggling and eventually will vomit nothing but a clear liquid.

19. atajev

atajev Member

I'm so sorry he's not doing well. Please keep us posted and I hope the diagnosis is something that's treatable.

20. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

The vet just called. He said he hasn't been eating at all on his own and they had to force feed him. The vet said that one of his liver enzymes was slightly elevated but nothing at all on the bloodwork looked abnormal to them. The vet said he will do a urinalysis to determine his ketone level. His blood glucose was 520. I'm so confused that he is this tired and doesnt want to eat and drink and nothing is abnormal in his bloodwork. The vet ruled out pancreatitis. What should I ask the vet?

21. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Just got him back he looks terrible and not eating. His ALT/SGPT [ALT] is 321, his urine ketone is at 160, and his urine glucose is at 2,000 wow I may have to put him down.

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

i'm very surprised they released him.

urine ketones of 160 indicate "Large" (over 150 mg/dL) on a dipstick: https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/UA-ROUT/ketstix.htm.

urine glucose at 2000 indicate ≥1000 mg/dL : https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/ua-rout/glucstix.htm.

talk to your vet about the ALT/SGPT [ALT] being 321.

it sounds to me like he should be at an overnight facility to receive fluids which will help flush the ketones out of his system and Regular insulin (a fast-acting insulin also known as R) to pull numbers down. he also needs food... assist-feeding or even a feeding tube.... whatever it takes. please discuss this with your vet as soon as possible. imho, this is an emergency. his life could very well be at stake if left untreated.

23. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

He needs to start on fluids as quickly as possible to start flushing those ketones. He may be just 'ketonic' and not acidic yet but he's headed there. Your description sounds like what we went through in May with one of mine. If you can turn it around right now, it won't be nearly as expensive as DKA but he must have either subQ fluids or IV fluids and food.

HUGS and prayers from here...

24. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

The vet did suggest he be hospitalized and kept on fluids and the total for hospitalization in the emergency days for 2-3 days will be $2,000-$3,000 which we just cannot afford. The vet did give us a big empty syringe to try and force feed but when we do force feed him, he is vomiting it back up and looks like he is really struggling when vomiting. He is just vomiting nothing but a frothy yellowish liquid. I'm afraid if he is worse tomorrow or after he will have to be put down. It's just so random that he started acting like this literally in a matter of hours after waking up from his nap. :(

25. Jill & Alex (GA)

i'm sorry to hear that. if you can't hospitalize, the next best thing is to attempt to treat at home with subcutaneous fluids (your vet can teach you how to administer fluids), R insulin (about $24 at WalMart) and syringe feeding (ask your vet for some 10 mL oral syringes). obviously hospitalization is better, but some members have been successful with home treatment. we can help.

Link to one of the best videos for assist feeding that i've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6o17wH6ujk.

let us know how/if we can help.

PS --- if you have a blender, try blending some canned food until it's the consistency of a thick cake batter. my cats will sometimes eat the blended food right out of a dish, off my finger tips, or from an oral syringe. there's something about the smooth texture i guess. not sure, but it works more often than not. it's important to get as much food and water into him as you possibly can. if you can't get food into him, try getting water in him.

i have to turn in for the night but will look in on you in the morning.
    if there's anything we can help you with please ask. don't be afraid to start a new thread to attract attention and put the word Help! in the subject line.

26. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Thanks again so much for the help. Very helpful video I will definitely try that. How much should he be getting force fed? My vet suggested to mix water with the wet food in the syringe, is that a good idea? He also said he administered some subQ fluids before we left there but that doesn't seem to be helping. What do go do since he is not keeping the food down that I am force feeding him? He has been behind the TV since we got home from the vet and has not moved he has vomited and is somewhat laying in some of his vomit. So sad to watch he just lays there, no strength to even lift his head. he is dying before our eyes, is a12 yr old cat considered "old"? I wish my buddy can talk and let me know how/what he is feeling.

27. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Assist feed a little at a time may help reduce vomiting - like 1-2 mL (cc). As he tolerates it, slowly increase.

28. Jill & Alex (GA)

BJM gave you good advice on feeding: "Assist feed a little at a time may help reduce vomiting - like 1-2 mL (cc). As he tolerates it, slowly increase."

i've found it's easier and less messy to syringe food and water separately. however, see which method works for you.
    the goal is the same: get food and water into the cat. ;-)

gee, i don't consider a 12 year old cat "old". my youngest are 11 now and my oldest 16.

i wanted to stop by before work to point you in the direction of the Financial Aid link at the top of the page: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=112452. wanted to make sure you saw it. it's easy to miss. it's a list of organizations that might be able to help you. is there any way your vet will work out a payment plan with you?

please take kitty to your vet first thing this morning for more sub-q fluids. ask them to teach you how to administer fluids at home. i was nervous the first time i gave fluids, but i figured it was just one of those times in life when i had to just suck it up and do it! :mrgreen:

there are numerous videos on youtube.com showing "how to administer subcutaneous fluids". there are several methods people use when administering fluids. here's a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmaNe1YaUrk

i have to get back to work. will check in on you after work or sooner if i can.

you're in my thoughts and prayers...
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

29. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Ok we have been force feeding him the last couple of hours little by little and he is still vomiting it back up, his nose is always dry now and never wet and cold like it used to be when he was feeling good. He also hasn't had a bowel movement in two days. I will check on the link thanks again. I have heard milk thistle helps does anyone know about how much of that is true?

30. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sending a prayer for you and your cat.

31. atajev

atajev Member

I don't know anything about Milk Thistle, but I've also given sub-q fluids to a severely ill pet and it wasn't terribly complicated. If you can get some fluids and needles from your vet along with a little instruction, that could help a lot.

But I also want to say that as your cat's caregiver and best friend, your gut will probably tell you when he's ready to go or is really suffering. While it may be possible to pull him through with some hard work, I personally believe that if you have a voice in your head whispering that thing have reached the stage where life is torture, then you shouldn't discount that.

Folks here will try to guide you through helping as long as you feel like that's the right call, but we will also believe and support you if/when you know it's time to let him go gently.

32. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Appreciate it. Poor guy is just sitting in his litter box now. I just fed him a whole syringe of his wet food hope he doesn't throw this up. On a PLUS side.. He has been drinking on his own just not eating. The vet said it is super important that he eats, especially as a cat. The vet said his blood glucose has been poorly managed the past 2 weeks. Would his loss of appetite have mostly to due with his 300+ ALT level or his 500+ glucose? His glucose was 200ish after his insulin. :(

33. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Since he's at max ketones, you can't syringe enough water into him to clear those. If you don't clear those quickly, he's going to go downhill. PLEASE have your vet give at least subq fluids, show you how to do them and get a bag and needles from them. I'm really not trying to be pushy, I'm deeply concerned that he's going into DKA.

Thoughts and prayers for both of you still continue...

34. Jill & Alex (GA)

just a quick check in as i have a client coming in a few minutes...

• were you able to get him in for IV or sub-q fluids this morning? he needs IV or at least sub-q fluids.

• were you able to get sub-q fluids and receive some instruction so you can administer them at home?

• any luck contacting those organizations which may be able to provide some financial help?

• does he have any infection that you know of? if he does, antibiotics can help with that.

i'm not a vet, but my guess is dehydration and the possible/probable build up of toxins in his body make him feel so crappy that he doesn't want to eat.

again, i'm not a vet, but in lieu of hospitalization, his best chance of survival is the basics: food, insulin, and sub-q fluids.

please, hear the urgency in my voice. i know you're in a tight spot, but some how... some way... get your hands on some sub-q fluids to give him. it kills me to say this, but if you're unable to provide the basics the most humane thing you can do for him is to euthanize. :cry:
    no judgements. just thinking about your kitty.

my client is here. have to get back to work. will check back with you tonight.
    sending tons of positive thoughts and prayers...

35. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

No there was not any way I could have taken him today for more subQ fluids. I will try for tomorrow. I tried signing up for those assistance sites but most of them are not accepting new applications. I may try CareCredit. As far as any infections, nothing that we know of and the vet didnt notice any infection. If he is not better in the next couple of days our only choice unfortunately is to wait until my dad is home to have him euthanized. I cant stand seeing him sitting in one spot the whole day and now sitting in his litterbox. Its better to see him drinking but unfortunately if the subQ fluids dont even help and he continues to suffer, to euthanize is the only choice. Thing that is still shocking me is how fast he started acting like this. For now I will continue feeding him and trying to give him more water as well.

36. Critter Mom

I can only imagine what you must be going through. Thoughts and prayers for you both still coming from the UK.

37. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If he is dehydrated, he may be constipated and this will result in vomiting.

Read more about it at Feline Constipation. Lots of good info, including treatment options.

38. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

I wonder why he is just sitting in his litterbox now..

39. Critter Mom

It might be for a feeling of security from the scent? When my Saoirse was taken in for her first BG curves, she wasn't happy to be there and she sat in the litter box while she was there.

40. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Unfortunately we came upon a decision hes in his litterbox lying in his own urine and hasn't had a bowel movement in 3+ days this is so sad to watch! He was here next to me being his self playful and cuddly 3 days ago and went to just sitting in his litterbox. He barely has strength to even open his eyes and continues to vomit everything we try feeding him. This is my first pet ever I know there is an emergency clinic that will euthanize does anyone know of any other places? It hurts so much to see him suffer and the worst part he cant talk to tell me whats wrong! I dont even want to be with my dad when he takes him to drop him off. Hes lived a happy 12 years with us :( Thanks so much for the help everyone

41. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

He will be scared at the vet and your presence will help him feel calmer as he goes to sleep. It is often very peaceful. Please go with him.

42. Jill & Alex (GA)

yes, it's very sad to watch. know you're making the right decision. you're giving him the ultimate gift of love... showing your love for him by setting him free... putting an end to his pain and suffering. some day you'll meet again.

wings_cat fly free sweet little kitty...

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:
    take care,
    ~ jill

43. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Just got done at the vet. He usually would fight us to put him in his carrier, this time he couldn't do anything but open his eyes and struggled to even let out a couple of meows. Looked like he lost control of his tail too. It was so hard the ride there he normally meows and cries but he was completely powerless! I know keeping him would have had him in more pain since he was getting worse and worse day by day. He couldn't even move when we took him in. At least he didn't suffer much before he left and I know I should feel better knowing we made the right choice but i feel terrible. I am 26 and he was with us 12 years that's almost half my life. Thanks for all of your support

44. Jill & Alex (GA)

may you soon find peace and comfort in all the fond memories you have of him.
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

45. Please, don't feel terrible. Reading this the past couple of days brought back some sad memories for me, and I apologize for not being much help for you and your kitty. Last November, I went through almost the same the with my diabetic cat, Bob. Bob becoming diabetic was what brought me here three years ago. I was so very fortunate in that he was only on insulin for ten weeks, and went into remission. That lasted for two and a half years. Then for reasons I'll never understand, his diabetes came back with a vengeance. Inside of a week, he went from seemingly fine, to me having to make the same heart wrenching choice that you had to make today.

Bob and your little guy sound almost the same. Ketones appeared suddenly, he became lethargic, used the LB less, and was completely miserable. What really "hit me" was your description of him and the carrier and the trip to the vet. Bob detested his carrier. I would have to sneak it into a spare room, and trick him into getting him in it. If he saw the carrier, he disappeared. The night before I felt convinced that I had to let him go, I couldn't find Bob. After searching every room of the house, I went out to the screen porch, which is where the carrier was. I found Bob laying in the carrier, something he never did willingly. And in the car? Bob would fuss all the way to the vet, and all the way home. That day, he didn't make a sound.

It was probably the hardest thing I ever did to let Bob go. But today I believe that it was absolutely the right thing to do, even though it ripped my heart out. Hell, it still hurts to be honest. And having had your kitty for half your life? Your heart must be broken. My heart breaks for you.

All I can do is hope and pray that your heart will heal quickly. And that all the good memories that you have from the past 12 years are the memories that will be foremost in your mind. I know that what really helped me was looking through old photos from the time Bob entered my life only a few days old to the last photos taken only a couple weeks before he passed. Every one of them brought back a happy memory. Grief sucks, but it's a natural process that has to run its course. The other thing that really helped was "this place". Just about every person here understands exactly what you feel tonight. The outpouring of love and support that I got last year after losing Bob, and Mullet before that, was beyond belief. I've never met a single person who posts here. But there are least a hundred people here that I would consider "best friends". You haven't been here long at all. But the day you posted the first time, you became a part of a family. One that gives limitless support and love to all in need. Don't ever forget that.

Peace to you.

Carl

46. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Wow that helps so much, Bob sounds just like my Chucky. How old was he? Chucky was 12. I notice a few people have cats that are 18+ and just wonder why him? Poor guy didn't even have enough power to get out of his own LB and was passed out face and legs in litter. But Just a natural part of this thing called life I guess, it just hurts me a lot because it is my first ever loss of anyone close to me at all (thank god) it hurts but I will get over it. Now I just want a new cat, my mom loved Chucky too, and she says that after experiencing the loss after being emotionally attached she's worried to get another cat haha, hopefully in due time. Thanks so so much for all of your support and prayers it helps a lot

47. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

So sorry for your loss, may you find peace just as your kitty has.

48. Bob was diagnosed with diabetes just before he turned 11, and lived till 13 1/2. I posted a lot about him last November, and you can watch a tribute video I made for him here -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzl9Z7DQOlE

You mentioned the possibility of getting another cat... That's just what I did just a couple of weeks after Bob crossed. Her name is Polly, and she helped heal my heart. At some point, you may very well do the same. Polly didn't replace Bob and Mullet, but she helped to fill the holes they left in my heart. A good friend then told me I had a "Bob-shaped hole in my heart" and I think that's a perfect way to describe the loss. No kitty will ever replace Chucky, but one could help to fill the "Chucky-shaped hole" in your's. Your heart will let you know when the time is right.

I made another video not too long after I made Bob's, and it was my "Christmas gift" to all the wonderful people here last Christmas. I tried to help people understand that even after a very difficult loss of one of their loved kitties, there are really special kitties out there that I call "heart-healing kitties" that help us to heal. Turns out that many people already knew that, and had experienced the same thing I did when I allowed Polly to win my heart. You can read about it and watch the video here.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=109758

This is really such an amazing place, with so many incredible people.

49. Critter Mom

I am so very sad to hear about Chucky. Your love for him shines out of your posts here.

I know you feel terrible after making such a hard decision, but you acted with courage and great love. In time I hope you will come to know in your heart that by freeing Chucky from his distress and by being there to comfort him was the single greatest gift of love you gave him in all your wonderful, happy years together. You were there when he needed you more than at any other time in his life, and you embraced pain to in order to free Chucky from his. In time, I hope you you will draw comfort from knowing that.

Losing someone you love so much is terribly painful, but all the love you shared with Chucky is so much stronger: it will still be there when the pain has eased. (The pain never goes away completely, but neither do the happy memories.) I am praying for you to be sent a healer puss. They really do exist. (My Danú was sent to me to fill up part of the crater left in my heart when I lost Saoirse's brother, Amadán.)

((((yo0123yo and Spirit Chucky))))

50. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers at this difficult time.

51. atajev

atajev Member

I am so sorry, but I think it's wonderful that Chucky was able to be happy and loved right up until it went drastically downhill. Though he may have had a rough few days, he obviously enjoyed his life right up to the end and you're the one responsible for giving him the ability to do that. Deciding to say goodbye to a pet in that situation is so very hard, but I've had to do it with a few of my own pets and in the long-run I feel much better about them not ailing from a slow-acting disease for months instead (which I've also had pets experience).

But, no matter how they go, it's awful to lose a member of the family. You will never forget him - he'll always be with you.

52. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Thanks so much for all your prayers as well as a special thank you from my mother, I told her about the awesome people here! This morning was terrible, since my mom is so used to being greeted everyday, by Chucky, as soon as she wakes up at 6am. She had to clean out all of Chucky's stuff and she was just so so sad and crying but we have been better today. The hardest thing is just not having him to lay on my foot as i sleep, or when I would come home with Popeye's he would beat me to wherever I was going with the food to always ask if I can give him a piece, and I always did. Something feels missing I'm heartbroken and definitely my mom. I deleted all pics I had of him that were when he was sick because he wasn't his self and I dont want bad memories just good ones! I keep telling my mom i think we should get another cat but she's saying no at the moment. Maybe give that some time lol. Much thanks for all of the support and to everyone here you guys are awesome!

Here he is a couple days ago, Chucky on my leg. I miss him waking me up to sleep on my leg :( I cant believe this happened so quick.
    http://i.imgur.com/PxmtT2A.jpg

This is literally 12 HOURS before he started not being him self. I was eating chicken breast and he loved it so much.
    http://i.imgur.com/rCRWUAn.jpg

Just days ago the poor guy curled on my bed he trusted me always, at least he no longer suffers. (Sorry didn't know how to resize pics)
    http://i.imgur.com/rCRWUAn.jpg

53. terriy

terriy Member

So very very sorry for your loss. The pain will fade but never the love.
    TerriY & Chicken Little

54. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

I am so, so sorry.

Looked at your photos, what a lovely looking boy and you can tell he had a really sweet personality. My heart goes out to you. I lost Angel's sister last year, she had only just turned 8, so young. And I lost Lianna on 20th July, she nearly made 19. We have so many memories of them. Will all my cats I've loved and lost, my main memories are when they were well and happy, you will find that as time goes on. For me personally, I don't 'get over' a loss so much as learn to live with it, I can still think of the cats I had growing up and get tearful.

I would say give it a couple of weeks before you discuss getting a new cat (she says after looking at 2 kittens 9 days after losing Lili, hopefully they will come to me around 23rd August)

xxx

55. Critter Mom

Love the photos of Chucky. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Saying a little prayer for you, your mum, and Spirit Chucky.

56. Critter Mom

Thinking of you and your mum ...

57. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

It's been almost a month since Chucky has left us and it is definitely still hard and we are still heartbroken but it is getting easier with time. The only thing is I want a baby kitten to adopt so bad!!! My mom loves cats too but she is just not giving in to adopt another kitty :( She says the main reason is because the same thing will end up happening over time and eventually the cat will pass and bring upon the feeling of sadness again which she wants to avoid because up until this day she cries in the morning because he used to be the first one to greet her in the morning. Ugh! I really want a cat but don't know what else I can do to get her to agree with me and give in to getting a new kitty. We already have the evo dry cat/kitten food, we have wet food, we have litterbox, litter, and basically everything we need. The only thing missing is the cat! I miss my buddy's companionship and love that something non human can exhibit, he would always be waiting for me when I walk in my house through my garage and it is just different he was my best friend. And he kept me company the whole time I was home (always would keep following me ANYWHERE I went throughout the house, even up and down flights of stairs)until he laid down on my leg or anywhere close by me to hang out. And if i wasn't home, he was always by my mom. I want another little buddy! Lol I love cats!!

58. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe volunteer at a shelter to get your cat fix?

59. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your loss of Chucky. Part of loving him is knowing when to send him to the Rainbow Bridge to fly free with all that have gone ahead of him. He took a piece of your heart with him and he will always have that. Please know that I am praying for peace and comfort to come to you in your memories of him.

I do hope you can get another cat. You definitely have the kind of compassion for felines and there are so many out there that need someone like you. A new cat would not be a replacement for Chucky but would help distract you a bit as you move through the grieving process.

60. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

Well the loss of Chucky is still so hard as I'm brought to tears anytime typing his name or thinking if him but yesterday we went to our local animal shelter and adopted 3 month old Princess, here she is she is so gorgeous but is very scared of people, she loves to play but when any of our family members approach anywhere near, even for her to smell our finger, she runs and hides. Also I will be making a new thread if I have any questions I feel so sad for her I wish she knew we dont mean any harm lol! Here is Princess!! http://i.imgur.com/lMxv8KR.jpg

61. Alfred

Alfred Member

I'm very sorry for the loss of Chucky.

Princess is adorable.

Just throwing out something to think about; I see from your thread that money was an issue when Chucky got sick, you might want to consider getting pet insurance for Princess. Now would be a good time to get it since she is still a kitten and is unlikely to have any pre-existing conditions right now, so anything that pops up once she is insured should be covered.

Just something to consider.

62. Critter Mom

You've got a new pusscat! I'm so happy for you, your mum and Princess. She's a dote! And the best panacea you could have to ease the pain of your parting with Chucky.

You will always carry Chucky in your heart, and the love you shared will be with you for keeps. You have so much love to give and there are so many pusscats who have love to give back. I'm really, really glad that Princess has found a home with you and your mum and I wish you all the joy of loving again.

63. yo0123yo

yo0123yo New Member

I think we are leaning towards Definitely going to get her pet insurance since she is still 3 months Thanks everyone!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.