Diabetic cat with Asthma important questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ilovebubba, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovebubba

ilovebubba New Member

Hi All,

My cat has been in "remission "from diabetes since March. He was just at UPENN emergency and stated that his asthma needed to be treated.
    The sent us home with the Areokat and Terbutaline. He had very bad reactions to the Terb and needed to come off.
    He only took the Areokat the first time and has fought me tooth and nail since. Friday, he was having heavy breathing and went to the vet.
    The next thing would be small amounts of steriods until he took the Areokat.

This whole steroid thing is well freaking me out! I know breathing trumps all but I was wondering until he gets
    use to the Areokat..(my lips to gods ear)
    How many times should I test him. Before I was doing it 2x a week. (during remission no steroids)
    I am just a mess, If only he would just take the Areokat! I am also posting on the Asthma board (thank you guys)))
    and they have been great. I just wanted to see if anyone here has gone thru this as well.

For the record, he does not eat any dry food and has been on a wet diet since we were told he had diabetes.
    Fancy Feast Classic ( no fish or beef for him)
    Also he has some Halo chicken treats..

Feedback is appreciated.
    Thank you so much!

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Mnay people here use Flovent with their diabetic cat. Flovent doesn't affect the bgs at all. It does take a couple weeks for Flovent to "build up" and work to control the asthma.

It takes lots of treats and prase to get many cats used to the AeroKat. Try getting your cat used to just the rubber mask first. Place it over the nose for a few seconds and give a reward immediately afterwards.

With my cat, it took maybe 2 weeks to get used to the Aerokat. To give the Flovent, I knelt behind him and wrapped one arm around his chest to prevent him from moving while the other arm held the AeroKat to his face. Eventually he learned to just sit there and take the Flovent without fussing. He always got fed right afterwards and then poked for his bg test and insulin.

Karen and Pearl has video of how to use an AeroKat: http://pearlthediabeticcat.blogspot.com ... kitty.html

This web site has more info on how to treat asthma: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

My Sydney is using the aerokat too. I hold her baby-like and well, I didn't give her the option of getting used to it. I just did it.

You can also wrap him burrito style to contain him while you put the mask on.

In addition to Flovent (or flixotide - generic name) do you have albuterol (what I call the emergency inhaler - it's a gray colored one)? I use this as needed, when Sydney is having breathing difficulties.

Like Squeem said, it takes time for the flovent to build up in the cat (like 2 weeks), I know on the asthma board, they have tips and ideas on what to use in the meantime. I just don't recall what those drugs are.

And if you need to purchase inhalers - here's the best place to get them:

http://www.4cnrs-asthma-allergy.com/flovent.html

4. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi,
    Oh i feel your pain.

I had a asthmatic cat Xena for many years. I trapped her as a feral kitten and she was diagnosed with Asthma at the age of 9.

She always was the type of cat that ran when she heard any noise or even if you moved too fast. The only way she would come up to me if I was sitting down and it was queit, she was always this way.

So when I found out I had to give her Aerocat I was panic stricken!!! I did not want to chase her to make her have an attack but I found a way that worked.

In order to not chase her all over, I would close all room except my room and she would run into there, then quietly go up to her ( mind you she was meowing with fear as I approached) and quietly picked her up or put my arm around her so she would not run, Aerocat with inhaler in hand and just started doing that.

Here are steps that worked with me .

Hold your kitty on lap, counter, table etc.

Make sure you have aerocat ready with inhaler in it and ready to go.

Face kitty away from you, then take Aerocat around the side and put on the face that way.

So much easier and if cat is on your lap facing away then they can not back up when you put aerocat on face.

Xena got used to it and did much better.

She was on Flovent and Albuterol as needed and did not need any oral meds.

And of course she got a treat after.

My vet suggested that since flovent take awhile to start working on the lungs that I should use the flovent and then a puff of albuterol daily for the first week or so. This will help your cat with breathing right away in the meantime

Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.