Diagnosed 2 weeks ago, but even being a retired RN don't feel adequate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DebiW, May 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebiW

DebiW New Member

My girl, Dusty, is as strong headed and stubborn as her mom. That being said, I feel inadequate to help her when she needs me the most.
    Her blood sugar (bs) last year was just over 200, but my vet attributed it to stress and never advised me.
    I had bought her in for the same problem which had popped up again this year, which was intestinal symptoms: REALLY smelly loose poo and vomiting green/yellow bile. The vet had thought she needed i/d Digestive Care food, which was expensive at the vet, but cheaper after you transferred her rx at Petsmart. That was fine for one year, but again, her symptoms reemerged and more blood work was done.
    Her bs this year was 420 (n=72-175) and, after consult and pushing for more examination of her blood to be sure of diagnosis, found her Fructosamine to be 731 (n=191-349).
    They initially wanted her in for the day to do a "curve", but I didn't think would be accurate (and more expensive) as it would stress Dusty out more.
    I am retired (disabled actually) married, but now have few friends so no one comes over and when they do she and another cat hides. We have an older cat who has become more carefree as she ages and is our "greeter". So after letting the vet know I had been an RN I brought her in for education and more expensive food.
    I've tested people, both young and old as I was mainly a pediatric nurse, with finger pricks, but is more difficult with a cat. In the office, I tested on her ear and it was fine, because my cat is more docile in the office (it was 210). I was instructed to give her 1 unit 2x/day 1 hour after feeding to be sure she ate before her insulin. I was supposed to do a "curve" after 2 weeks which would be testing her bs every 2 hours and recording when she ate.
    I'm telling you this has been a nightmare even though I'm trying to control my anxiety when I give her the shots and don't always do it at the same time. Being an older woman, I get up at least 3 times/night and have to take my own meds at 7 am/pm. I thought (at the vets) that I'd give her meds at the same time but, didn't figure out that our girls are used to eating much earlier so I adjusted the feeding to ~5 o'clock and insulin at 6. She didn't always eat her food (she didn't like the Purina DM- which I was upset after going to Petsmart and realizing I needed to have the BRAND in the rx [why can't I buy ANY DM rx food?] and going through that whole rigmarole at Petsmart on the phone with my vet to get a new rx faxed over- another story), but anyway, didn't feel comfortable waiting a whole hour when I didn't feel she ate enough.
    Anyway, I've been giving her shots more near her feeding time, when she's acting more hungry and giving it with food, or soon after she eats. I don't want her running away from me when she's supposed to eat so am trying not to relate food with a shot. I don't think it hurts too much, but she doesn't particularly like it at all.
    Fast forward 2 weeks later and we "try" and get her bs curve done. Of course, it's a cooler spring here so her ears are cold and I can't get enough blood to test, no matter how much I massage her ear. I've read you can use a non weight bearing claw, but she's a bit furry and I'm having trouble even getting the fur away from her ear.
    I feel like such a failure and inadequate! I don't want her necessarily stressed out by having her in the vets for a whole day to do her curve, and I hate to keep harping on how much that would cost.
    Dusty also hates the dm food and have read she can get by on regular Fancy Feast, but can't get a read on her bs to see if its adequate.
    Has anyone ever done testing on other that the ear and does anyone have suggestions? Maybe I just need some reassurance. As I said, I've worked as an RN, but my wife has never given shots or tested bs and feels more inadequate than I.
    I'm praying that this is all do to my giving too many treats (I didn't realize how much were giving them and we're ALL adjusting now) and can just adjust her food and be done with shots.

2. DebiW

DebiW New Member

After reading my rant, I realize I wasn't clear about what I was asking and just was venting.
    --I'm not feeling comfortable only feeding her every 12 hours, as instructed by the vet. In people you're supposed to keep your bs level, meaning small meals all day long. Anyone else have something to advise with experience?
    --Giving Dusty her shots has made her shy away from me, thinking I'm going to poke her all the time so I try to give her LOTS of "good touches" but hate that she still shys away from me. I'm giving them in her upper back, between shoulders, but can't always judge exactly where I'm going to give it (sneaking them in) so can't be sure it's not near the same spot. I've heard of folks giving them varied areas (like a clock) so they don't build up scar tissue in the same area or make it irritated. Just not going to happen as she's wise to me.
    --Blood sugar testing in the ear? Any suggestions other that applying warm compresses (LOL!!! Not going to happen!), or have you tried and succeeded getting it easier somewhere else?
    Again, I'm sorry for my venting but am feeling like such a schmuck to my furbaby right now.

Kathleen Tyrrell likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Venting is not only allowed, but encouraged, helps keep our sanity!!! I think we all started out feeling inadequate, but stick around and we can help you get on track with Dusty. Most of us feed several mini meals each day. Some even have timed feeders so kitty can eat throughout the night whether we get up or not. As for giving the shots, I gave them in the shoulder, scruff and occasionally the flank. In the beginning I had the vet shave an area so I could see what I was doing, made it so much easier!
    Here’s some info on home testinghttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/. Read it and come to the Main Health Forum and tell us more about the trouble you’re having, and ask any questions you have.
    upload_2019-5-4_21-3-1.jpeg

4. Kathleen Tyrrell

Kathleen Tyrrell Member

I'm new myself, and can't offer much but sympathy for your situation since I am still raw from all this. I stroke my Sabu's ear in a motion towart the tip until the ear is warm to the touch, Sabu's dad gives him treats to keep him distracted while I do the BL test. Many parents don't use the auto lance because they say the click bothers their kitty, but mine doesn't mind at this point (is has only been a week, it feels like a year). I like the auto lance because I know it is making a sufficient pierce for a good little blood bead. I cannot make myself do it by hand because I'm too slow and squeemish and clumsy. Maybe if you partner up with your wife she can distract while you get the blood sample. I feel your feelings and I am sending you our warmest affection and support. Also, it really helped us when we had the mobile vet out to do a 'demonstration' of how to do everything and then observe you doing the same - Best wishes and warm welcome to you and Dusty

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi again Debi. Forgot to link this one

DebiW likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

3E19A410-694F-431F-A4DE-D38B14158809.jpeg
    Most of us feed several times a day. Just no food 2 hours prior to the preshot test so the number is not food influenced.

What size lancet are you using? If it's thinner than 28, then I suggest you use a 26-28 gauge... And make sure you aim for the sweet spot. A few on here test in the paw pad. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home

DebiW likes this.
  7. DebiW

DebiW New Member

Thanx for the tips and support. It's very hard to stick your cat and still get her to trust her but so far she's not hiding from me too much...

8. DebiW

DebiW New Member

Thanx, Kathleen!

9. DebiW

DebiW New Member

I'm not sure what size the lancet is as it came in a kit. It's an AlphaKit and doesn't state what size it is. Weird! Maybe I'll get some from the pharmacy. Thanx for the sweet spot tip!

10. DebiW

DebiW New Member

That's a great diagram, Janet. I'm also from NJ, in Manville (Somerset County). Thanx!

11. DebiW

DebiW New Member

Sharon, thanx for your video. Poor Junior! He's a lot like my Dusty! NOT a happy camper.

Sharon14 likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

Oh ok the alpha track comes with 28 gauge. It took me about 10 days to consistently get a reading. It got easier once the capillaries grew.

13. JanetNJ

Oh! Hi fellow nj person! I'm in bergen county by the Meadowlands. I'm glad the diagram was helpful. My vet said to aim for the vein which is not ideal.... It's more painful, bleeds too much, and can leave bruising. That's why you want to aim for the sweet spot on the edge.

14. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and beautiful Dusty!
    My Ti-Mousse has frozen hard ears and some little parts are missing, so getting blood was almost impossible. I tried many things including paw pad but he hated it! I never thought I would be able to manage this with his condition, but the following tip is the best one I got to warm the ear and take blood easily:
    - use a baby washcloth, you dampen it, put it in a plastic baggie, and microwave it for about 15 seconds (test it on your wrist first, since all microwaves are different).
    - fold the washcloth around her ear to warm the ear. When warm, put a little vaseline on the place near the edge of the ear you plan to test (this will help to bead up the blood drop). Blood flows from the tip of the ear down, so if you put a little pressure below where you plan to test, the blood drop will be easier to get.
    - fold the gauze pad around the ear and put a little pressure on it to stop the bleeding and to prevent bruising.
    -always use Neosporin AB with pain relief. I put just a little after each test!

The ears learn to bleed and it's true; at the beginning it was taking me ages to take blood, now I can do it while he sleeps. When I joined, someone told me it's gona be like brushing your teeth, I laughed but she was right, you'll see ! and the Sweet Spot is the best place to poke!
    Hope it works for you !

15. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi. I'm in the next county to you. Dusty is beautiful, and I love her green eyes.
    I was as overwhelmed as you feel, in the beginning, as most people are.
    Eventually, your Dusty will somehow realize you are helping her, and a great bond will form the between two of you.
    Keep hanging in there, and keep posting. We will help you, and support you.

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

As a retired R.N. myself I have to tell you, your story about feeling inadequate sounds so familiar. I cried and shook like crazy when I started testing my girl. I think there is something very different for us medical folks when we are used to explaining to a patient what we are going to do and how. Suddenly we have a patient with whom we can not communicate to the same degree as our usual patients and of course there is that love bond involved. One thing you need to be aware of is that pricking our fingers is far more painful for us that pricking kitty's ear. They don't have a lot of sensitive nerve endings in their pinnae and barely feel it. They also pick up on our trepidation so as you would with a scared child, take on a can do attitude and I'm sure Dusty will feel more comfortable about the situation. I even went through a mock testing session sans cat (used a stuffed animal) to make sure I had the process down pat so I wasn't expecting my girl to be overly patient with me fumbling around. In a few short days, we had testing down pat and she started coming to get me at test time. I didn't offer treats before and after testing but a little bribery can work wonders. In our case, it was a brushing session once we were done. You'll be a pro at this just as you were with your human patients in no time and as Dyana said, the bond between you and Dusty will only strengthen. :D

17. DebiW

DebiW New Member

Thank you for your help. It is true that it's different with a loved one. My daughter had been bitten by a dog, in the cheek so you know what a lacerated cheek looks like, and I almost passed out when they went to suture it, but it was a few years before I went to school to become an RN. I am getting a bit frustrated and sad that she's starting to shy away from me. She knows when I get up in the morning, she's gonna get a shot (my wife feeds them before she leaves for work, and when I get up for my 6 a.m. pee, I swear she knows what time it is). Danielle reaizes that she needs to help in the morning so Dusty gets unconditioned from running from me in the morning. She's fine all day long and comes up to me but , again, I feel she knows when 6 o'clock comes around. I just need to chill a bit. I'm going back for a checkup to see where she stands tomorrow as she's still having digestive issues. Thanx again!

18. DebiW

DebiW New Member

I finally finagled her and tested her bs. It was 406 just before she was due to eat (she didn't have anything besides diabetic dry food to nibble on, which was held 2 hrs. prior) and 405 about 1/2 after her insulin, which was 45 mins. after feeding. I have an appointment tomorrow and feel that maybe she needs to go up on her insulin. I'm feeling bad I didn't have her held for a curve, thinking that it would stress her out--- but am considering that might be necessary now. Her fructosamine was also in the 700's in her last blood test. I looked up what the difference was and found the fructosamine gives a "readout" of what her glucose had been for 2 weeks prior. I'm gonna need to put my big-girl pants on with this monitoring now. I'm going to have to let them take the realm and admit her so they can help figure this out. Her thyroid and mch has been low, too, so she needs a real workup. Feeling sad.... :(

19. DebiW

DebiW New Member

Oh, my! Dusty hates to be brushed and I don't want to associate treats with any procedure I need to do with her, so I give her extra hugs and "mommy kisses (faking the licking mommy cats would do with drawn out kisses on her neck). I don't yet see the bond helping as she's running from me especially after getting 2 bs readings today (406 & 405), but I can only hope.

20. DebiW

DebiW New Member

Thanx, Dyna. Btw, I "colored" her eyes, which are more of a hazel green like mine LOL!

21. DebiW

DebiW New Member

I used a dress sock with oatmeal in it. I didn't have rice and thought rolled oats would be softer & have some moisture to help hold the heat. I tested it on my forearm before putting it on her ear. Still took me 2 stabs (those pens are useless) before I got anything. My heart is bleeding, if anything, but I need to get mst.

22. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

Being new to doing Mango's BS testing this video was so helpful. I will try this as I am not so good at the ear testing, YET! Thank you.

23. JanetNJ

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

24. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

Thank you JanetNJ for your wonderful video. Your cat is so chill. I need to rethink where I do the testing. I have been putting him on the kitchen table before his meals and all he wants at that point is his dinner not a pin prick in the ear! Figuring it out is a challenge I am will take on and master!

25. JanetNJ

Glad you found it helpful. You could give him a little snack while you test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.