Diagnosed diabetic in 2008 and still going

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tabby P, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabby P

Tabby P New Member

My 17 year old tabby cat was diagnosed 8 years ago and she is doing so well. I was wondering if anyone else has had an elderly diabetic cat and whether they have had any complications

Attached Files:

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I had two cats that were diabetic for over 10 years and they had cataracts but the cats did not seem to notice them. Otherwise, I have ad old cats with the standard old-age problem like kidney and thyroid.

3. Tabby P

Tabby P New Member

Great to know you had your diabetic cats for 10 years. I hope I am as lucky with her. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hiya,
    Bertie has been diabetic (and on insulin) for 8 and a half years now. He's now 16 and a half and seems in pretty good health (touch wood/anti-jinx).
    He does have cataracts in both eyes but the vet says these are unrelated to his diabetes: In fact his eyes may have been damaged when he had cat flu as a small kitten (on the farm where he was born). He's also deaf. But that can happen to any cat as they age.

Eliz

Edited to add: Your cat is gorgeous! :)

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you read the literature diabetes in cats does cause cataracts but it takes many years like 8 or greater for them to become evident.
    My civi Moxie who is now about 8 years has severe cataracts. However, They were preent when I first fostered here when she was 6 weeks old.

6. Tabby P

Tabby P New Member

Thanks both, my cat has lost her teeth and has limited sight however lives a great life and loves playing with her toys

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's what it's all about! :)

Lovely picture of your little one. :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.