Diagnosed second time 8/2015

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marilyn and Huckleberry, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marilyn and Huckleberry

Marilyn and Huckleberry New Member

Huckleberry, (almost 12 years old, male, neutered, Silver Maine Coon) was diagnosed exactly 2 years ago and had the condition for 1 and a half months before having a hypoglycemic attack and going into remission. He had been drinking and peeing constantly for about 3 weeks, and then he had a urine and blood test and was rediagnosed with Diabetes. My other furball is Marshmallow, same age, bi-color black and white, peke-faced Persian.
    My name is Marilyn and I'm in my 70s.
    We have an excellent vet, but he does things differently than most of the posts I've read. Right now, I am injecting him with 3 units of Lantus insulin twice a day.
    He is still drinking and peeing a lot. Our vet does not require multiple blood testing, etc., as many of you seem to be doing. He only eats dry food but I will try to switch him over to a canned diabetic food tomorrow.
    I am pleased that I can be a member of this Health Board and hope to obtain and provide helpful mutual advice and support.
    :(

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you Marilyn and Huckleberry! Sorry you have to look for some place like this, but glad you found us!

There is no need for a "diabetic" food. If you mean low carb canned, that is perfect. Have you seen the information at catinfo.com?

We don't test because the vet requires it. We do it to keep the kitties safe and know of the insulin is working for them.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Three units is a high starting dose but maybe acceptable with dry. I would reduce to one unit twice daily especially if yo switch to canned.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Yes, If you do change to a low carb canned food, you should test his BG because the switch could cause a drop in numbers that requires a change in insulin to avoid a hypoglycemic event

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

6. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

I can sympathize with you. Squeaker was first diagnosed July 2013 and over the course of a month was increased from 1 unit to 3 of Lantus. Two weeks later he went into remission. Eight months later he relapsed and he was started on 3 units of Lantus, two weeks later that was reduced to 2 units, two weeks later it was reduced again to 1 unit, then 2 weeks later he was back in remission. I was able to catch the relapse so quickly because I still test his glucose regularly. There is always the possibility of remission a second time but the earlier you catch it the better the chances. Currently, Squeaker has held in remission for 13 months now. So----change to low carb wet food and at least while on insulin check multiple times a day. If you are lucky enough to go into remission a second time continue to test a couple of times a week to monitor for subsequent relapse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.