Diagnosis and Lantus cost

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peridot700, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peridot700

Peridot700 New Member

Our cat Sweet Pea was just diagnosed with diabetes this week and her Vet prescribed Lantus. She's only 7 yrs old, and we just got her in November. Her weight has gone down, and she was drinking lots of water and urinating quite frequently. The last two days I have been doing a lot of research online and the more I read the more stressed out I get! We called some pharmacies in our area to check on the cost of Lantus and the least expensive price is at Wal-Mart. It is $400 for both the Lantus and syringes for a 3 month supply. The Vet said the Lantus pens had a shelf life of 6 months but the Pharmacist said it's 3 months. We can't afford to pay that much! How do all of you afford this cost? Honestly our only other option is to put her sleep and I don't want that.

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi there,

you can cut the cost significantly by buying lantus - vial or pens from Canadian online Pharmacy. Most of us here do.

Peridot700 likes this.
  3. Peridot700

Peridot700 New Member

Thank you so much, I will contact them.

4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Because I draw insulin by syringes I keep pens refrigerated - opened and the new ones. I'd say the opened pen lives longer than 3 month if cared for properly (minimum shaking, dropping, etc).
    I buy Relion Syringes from Walmart $1.26/10.
    The Relion is the Walmart house brand and they carry whole lot of diabetes supplies - all priced reasonably and work fine for most people here.

Peridot700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.