? Diarrhoea. Rice water - BG spike?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vintry, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vintry

Vintry Member

I found the recipe for liver shake on this forum and notices that one of the ingredients is good for diarrhoea. It's rice water. You boil 2tbsp of white rice in 1 cup of water for 30mins. So today I fed my Barsa boiled chicken with this rice water and sugar went unusually high after that. So I wonder whether rice water could be the reason?

Also, what else can help with diarrhoea? I know of pumpkin and pre/probiotics. What else? Is there's something similar to 'primer on pancreatitis' but for diarrhoea?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes...the rice is the reason for the high BG numbers

How long has she been having the diarrhea? Most of us try to use the pumpkin since it's a gentle way to try to add fiber which helps absorb the extra water, but if it's something that's been going on for awhile and there hasn't been any diet change or anything that might explain it, it might be best to have her looked over at the vet

3. Vintry

Vintry Member

Well she had this problem before, it's not the first time. I always thought it was because of the food she's been eating, commericial food is not exactly the best. Also because she eats a lot. It used to be 150g in one go, then 50g more in 2 hours. Today was diarrhoea but most of the time it's just a loose stool, not solid. I tried feeding her boiled chicken for a few day about 2 weeks ago and it worked. I started seeing sausages in the litter :) But now it started again, loose stool. The food she is eating is a better quality now (70-100% meat, no more 4% meat derivatives) but maybe it;s because she still eats a lot, 100g in one go. What do you think? If I go with this problem to vet, what will he look at?

4. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Acute diarrhea is common. It has a fairly sudden onset and lasts a week or less. The most common causes of acute diarrhea include dietary intolerance, viral infections, and intestinal worms. An abrupt diet change can give a kitty the runs. So can dairy products. Diarrhea is considered chronic if it persists for three weeks or longer despite treatment, or recurs repeatedly over time. Chronic diarrhea can be associated with certain parasites, food allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatic disorders, and systemic conditions such as thyroid disease.

If it's been over 48 hours, I would say go to the vet. Your vet will conduct a full physical examination, checking especially for signs of dehydration, anemia, abdominal pain, intestinal irregularities, fever, and weight loss. Your vet will most likely want to run a fecal analysis for parasites.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Iryna,

What exactly are you feeding Barsa at the moment (what is her 'usual' food)?
    And does she have any food intolerances that you know of? Or any history of 'irritable bowel'?

Eliz

6. Vintry

Vintry Member

Ok, she always ate Felix pouches (Sumermeat, Meaty Loaf - 5.1% carb). They are in jelly, like Bozita. The two are very similar, only Bozita has bigger chunks of meat. Don't know if Bozita is better quality (probably not) but I tried switching Barsa from Felix to Bozita once because she started having loose stools. I tried feeding her Bozita and also other low-carb foods (Grau, Granata Pet, MACs, Catz Finefood) but she didn't like any of them. Most likely because they are all very dense, not in jelly. That's the past.

Now, everything is different. She is no longer eating Felix. I was able to get her off it. After months of high BGs and also a case of DKA, she lost a lot of weight so she started eating Everything (all of the foods above and others), whatever I give her she will eat it.

7. Vintry

Vintry Member

I ordered Fortiflora. Have to go buy pumpkin too. What else can I do?

8. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I have had success in the past with crumbling up freeze dried treats ( turkey) and just leaving it out . I would always notice areas of stool where it was much dryer in consistency.
    there may be something in the new food list that is irritating her system. Carageegan can be one of them. It's been showing up in everything lately.
    With those thicker pates, try adding water to make it soupier since it sounds like she likes her food a little more like slush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.