Diet assistance

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steve R., Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve R.

Steve R. New Member

My cat has been on Fancy Feast Classic for about 9 months. His blood sugar has been ok, but his stool is the problem. He has very loose stools. We even have added pumpkin with the Fancy Feast classic chicken. Anyone else encounter this problem or have a solution?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Take a read at Feline Constipation. Yes, I know opposite problem, but some of the solutions are the same, plus there is good info on the GI tract.
    A probiotic may help, such as Forti Flora or Intelliflora. If not dairy sensitive, you can give 1-2 teaspoons of plain yogurt with active cultures.
    Fiber helps soak up excess liquid. Options include plain canned pumpkin or squash, psyllium fiber. You can add a teaspoon of the plain pumpkin or squash, or a pinch or two of the psyllium fiber.
    Sometimes a too fast food switch will provoke soft stools or diarrhea.

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  3. Steve R.

Steve R. New Member

Thank you for the info. We have been using about a teaspoon of pumpkin but that doesn't seem to help.
    I think we will try the psyllium fiber.

4. Laura Nels

Laura Nels Member

Funny you should mention Fancy Feast in connection with diarrhea. Trying to get my cat w/ pred induced diabetes on a low carb diet, I have tried two kinds of Fancy Feast Classic, and both my cats have had diarrhea.
    One has intestinal disease and is weaning from pred, so I can't blame all her litter box troubles on FF, but now the other cat who has no diabetes or intestinal issues has loose stool after eating FF. It's just not working for them.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

How fast did you make the food change? We suggest changing about 20-25% per day or two to avoid food refusals, diarrhea, and vomiting.
    Adding in a probiotic may help; Forti Flora and Intelliflora are 2 available on Amazon.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some of the Fancy Feast flavors have fish in them - could it be an allergy? Beef is another common allergen. Try something with out either of those and see if it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.