Diltiazem

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FreddyMad, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreddyMad

FreddyMad New Member

Hi,
    I haven't been on here for a couple of weeks since Freddy first got diagnosed. He was starting to do well with the Canininsulin (4.5 U twice a day). His blood sugars had been around 14 when I tested and was 11 when the vet tested him. He was drinking less and his coat was beginning to look good again. However, on Friday he took a seizure type episode. We took him to the vet who decided to do an x-ray and ultrasound on his heart since his respiration rate was up. It turns out he has an enlarged left ventricle/heart. The vet has sent away to test for acromegaly. HIs blood sugars have been high again and so his insulin has been raised to 6 units per day. I have ordered another glucometer/tester that the vet recommended as I was stressing Freddy so much each time I tested him. The vet has prescribed an antibiotic as his meow has been a bit croaky even though his temperature is okay-it's more of a precaution I think. The vet has also prescribed Diltiazem (10 mg three times a day). Even though Freddy is not symptomatic apart from the fast breathing the vet wants him to start it anyway. I have started the antibiotics today. I am worried that starting the Diltiazem on the same day as the antibiotic might be problematic as if he reacts to one I won't know which it is causing the problem. Does anyone have any experience with this drug? Sorry for the long post but I am a bit overwhelmed with all this at the minute.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have no experience of giving Diltiazem to cats (but have taken it myself (I have heart disease) to relax the blood vessels).
    Just did a quick search online about Diltiazem in cats and found this general info:
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... A=3381&S=0

Eliz

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I take diltiazem to relax the blood bessels and prevent spasms which cause partial to complete blindness for up to an hour at a time.

Relaxing the blood vessels lowers blood pressure, which should reduce the workload on the heart if the pressure has been high. Lowering the BP too much can leave one feeling sluggish.

4. FreddyMad

FreddyMad New Member

Thank you both for your replies. I have been reading up on them this evening and as vomiting is often a side effect in cats I think I will wait and start them tomorrow. Freddy will have had some antibiotics by then and I'll know that he's okay with them by then. It's an antibiotic he hasn't had before so that's why I am being cautious re effects. I don't want to stop the Diltiazem for the wrong reasons. Hopefully he'll be fine with them though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.