? Do cats get hiccoughs (or hiccups)?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My civvie girl was having some issues eating her breakfast this morning and, after watching her for a minute, I believe she was having hiccups. She walked away from her food, and I managed to startle her with a loud sound, and then the hiccups went away. She went back to her breakfast and finished it without any more problems.

Has anybody else had their cat get hiccups? It's a first for me.

2. Lillie

Lillie Member

Leo gets them after eating sometimes. He has IBD though and his digestive system doesn't always work real well. Sometimes they look like intestinal spasms and sometimes it sounds like a real burp. My previous cat would get terrible gas sometimes and when she let loose it could clear a room!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

This civvie also has IBD! Maybe that has something to do with it. She can also clear almost the whole house when she gets gas or has diarrhea!

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Elmo farted. You'd think he just finished a bowl of guacamole and anchovies. Bad kitty!
    What's that kid's book, Walter the farting dog?
    Hang on a sec, can someone pull my finger? Oh come on, it's Monday!

5. Lillie

Lillie Member

I'm laughing right now because I remember the first time my previous cat let loose with gas while she was on my sisters lap. She couldn't believe that came from such a tiny 6 lb cat.
    Yes it may have something to do with the IBD and their dysfunctional digestion at times.

Noah & me (GA) and Squalliesmom like this.
  6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Is this science? Something expands in kitty's gasto tract and if it's gas it's leaving in one of two places. A burp or a fart. I've never heard a scientific explanation for hiccups but we know they happen. Like those stupid aliens that ate my lawn. Beady eyes and ray guns, think they're so smart. Not another anal probe! I've seen it happen but I left the lens cap on.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Lol!

8. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Gordy occasionally has what seems like hiccups. Almost 100% of the time, if I go give him a tummy rub, they go away. Kind of like, it relaxes him and what ever is causing the spasms stop.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. juliehoudini (ga)

juliehoudini (ga) Member

My civie Dipstick gets them quite regular. I asked the vet & he said some are just prone to it. He suggested patting like a baby on the back or tummy rub. She does get a nasty dose of the hiccups sometimes & nothing helps except when she throws up.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Squalliesmom

Thanks!I'll try that! She had them again at lunchtime.

11. Squalliesmom

Thank you, I will try that. Yes, she acts almost like it's going to make her throw up. I can tell she's really uncomfortable with it, poor girl.

12. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have a cat that burps...I knew dogs did but not cats.

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.