Does anyone feed their cats canned salmon or tuna?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenna and Widget, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenna and Widget

Jenna and Widget New Member

As a treat or when they just won't eat their wet food? My vet told me today that if Widget won't eat her wet food, try finding something she will eat..Canned tuna and salmon popped into my head.

2. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

I give mine sardines in water as a treat. She loves it.

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I give my cats tuna (the one packed in water ) also as a treat or in the case of one of my cyvies with some of her meds ( is great for disguising med flavors) and they love it, they will probably would like to just eat tuna but I can't let them just eat this as their main food because it lacks a lot of supplements they need (taurine among others)

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

This is from Dr Pierson on catinfo.org:
    • Fish – I do not feed fish to cats for the following reasons:
      • high allergy potential (manifested as skin allergies or inflammatory bowel disease, and possibly asthma)
      • toxin/mercury contamination
      • PBDEs (fire retardant chemicals) – PBDEs are potent thyroid disruptors
      • often high in phosphorus and magnesium
      • highly addictive – the cat will not eat anything else
    If you want to feed a fish-based food as a treat, please limit it to once or twice a week. (I do not feed any fish to my cats.)

Noah & me (GA) and tiffmaxee like this.
  5. Mags920

Mags920 Member

My guys get tuna on their birthdays, 7 cats so that's 7 times a year if I remember.

6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Only one out of six here even has a taste for actual meat, smoked salmon. The rest don't react at all.
    We have made the bottom of the ocean a filthy place; heavy metals, mercury etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.