Does cyproheptadine reverse the effect of Mirtazapine?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patticass & Tyler (GA), Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

I thought I remembered a conversation at some point that cypro will cancel out the mirtz. Anyone?

Justin has not been eating well leading to weight loss. I decided to give him 1/4 mirtz this morning and he is eating like crazy but he is also howling like crazy. I do recall the mirtz had this impact in the past but oh man! He doesn't seem to be in distress but he is loud. I'm off to work shortly (sorry neighbors!) but was thinking about giving him cypro when I get home if he is still like this.

Or maybe the howling will be less by then?

2. Dale

Dale Member

Don't know about the canceling effect but I have heard that if you give too much cypro you can get the howling. Maybe check the dose with your vet?

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

cypro is used as an antidote for serotonin syndrome, a (rare, i think) side-effect of mirtazapine. i'm not sure if it would reverse the appy stimulating property or the howling; diff vets i asked about the appy part of it had different guesses, but i wasn't about to turn meowzi into a guinea pig to find out (plus we really needed her to eat).

you could try shaving a little off your 1/4 pill with a butter knife next time and see if he's less howl-y.

for tonight, if he's still howling, see if he'll let you hold him. that seemed to help calm meowzi down sometimes.

4. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Patti, I don't know either. Maybe you can call your vet or a pharmacist?

Maybe next time you can cut the dose in half.

5. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

My vet told me that cypro will cancel out the mirtazapine. We were discussing the side effect of restlessness and wailing at the time, but I am guessing it would kill the appy enhancement as well. Bear had a terrible reaction just like that (I have it on video). I had to leave the house. It took about 12 hours for him to settle down after taking the pill, as my vet had told me it would, so I waited it out and never tried the cypro antidote.

6. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

You probably read about it same place I did, on Tanya's CRF page. She goes into the use of mirtz quite extensively. She also talks about the serotonin syndrome that Choy-Foong is referring to. Here is the link, scroll down and she talks about the Cypro being an antidote to mirtz:

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat ... irtazapine

I hope he is feeling better by the time you get home. Poor guy. If he isn't, be sure to run it by your vet whether he thinks you should use the cypro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.