? Does stress affect BG numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cinnie Cole, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

We had a particularly difficult time getting BG AMPS this AM. Even using warmed sock prep, some vasoline, and massaging, we could not get enough blood to get a reading. I lanced poor Zoot! like 20 times. It breaks my heart. We let him take off and calm down a couple of times but we were literally wrestling him to keep him from bolting each time we tried. So his AMPS was 317. Do you think this is even a valid reading? I mean he was really upset (we were too).

Amina&M'row likes this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Yes, stress can impact glucose; however, the AMPS looks pretty much in line with the last few days, so I think the number is probably pretty valid.

3. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Yes, stress can definitely impact BG & struggling actually increases it more & it takes some time for that to go down so if you test again soon, don't be surprised to still see a higher # *if thats what increased it.

Amina&M'row and Cinnie Cole like this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Nigel would jump in the car and loved prancing around the vet's office. Even with that his numbers there were useless.
    Every cat is different and no textbook can prepare you for this, have patience.

Tomlin, Amina&M'row and Cinnie Cole like this.
  5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

UPDATE: Could not get readings at +2 or +3. I will try at +6.

Right, although we increased his dose by .25 last night so I was surprised the AMPS was that high. I will see what his numbers look like at +2 and +5 (if he doesn't go on strike :))

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I suddenly have the image of Zoot with a picketing sign in his paw :p

CandyH & Catcat and Amina&M'row like this.
  7. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

He’s pretty much had it with me

8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

:( I'm sorry Cinnie! Maybe he will be in a better place after a nice cat nap! Hopefully the +6 isn't during it.

9. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

been there, done that, have the bite and claw marks to prove it -- make sure you give him a special treat every time -- Catcat will make up with me if I open the bonito flakes bag and give him a whiff

one thing I tried, and it worked, if Zoot! responds to catnip, give him a pinch about half an hour or 45 minutes before you test, depends on how quickly he goes into the meditative calm mood afterwards .. or if you'd rather, follow the treat with catnip when you get a successful test

Amina&M'row, Tomlin and Cinnie Cole like this.
  10. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

I read that this is one important reason to home test (among many). Often stress of going to vet causes elevated BGs at vet. Of course, ECID: every cat is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.