Don't know what to think or do!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cmk77, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmk77

cmk77 Member

Not able to pull up Gandolf's SS again for some reason, don't have that down yet. Here's his numbers from yesterday and today and perhaps someone has some insight about this? I'm a little concerned.

9/30
    8:39a 265 PS ( 2.5 U) (Vet's prescribed dosage)
    1:39p 269 had to go to work, left canned food out
    4:00p 203 ate
    8:15 p 225 PS?PM/ ate (2.5U)
    10:26 p 183 ate
    1:00a 158 ate

10/1
    6:30a 133 PS ate
    8:54a 140 PS/ate/ (2.5U) I had to go to work.
    1:54p 311 PS/ate

I was concerned that at 140 his BG might be too low for a full dosage (2.5U), but upon reading "5 Steps to Regulation" that BG range states to keep the dosage the same so I did. I was concerned he might go hypo on me but no, instead his number shoot way up?? What's up with that?

Its just going on 2 days since I first started monitoring Gandy's BG, and it's been about 2 weeks since he's been on insulin (Lantus). Vet sent us home taking 2U. Next check-up doc bumped it up to 2.5 (BG still high at 317). Then one day he had an "issue" (didn't eat, didn't feel good) and the vet suggested I take the insulin down to 1 unit while he wasn't eating. Got some canned food and solved that so not an issue anymore. Didn't get back to vet but took him back to 2U and then up to 2.5U when BG was staying above 300.

Thought we were doing good last night when the BG was dropping and we actually got numbers in the hundreds and even as low as 133. This morning PS he was 140, gave the 2.5U injection (5 Steps said to stay) and when I got home from work and tested (thinking he might go hypoglycemic) instead BG read 311!? He's just sitting quietly, and not laying out like his usual self so I'm watching carefully.
    He's not due for another injection till 8 tonight. Seems a long time away with such a high BG. Any ideas what's going on? :!: Should I be concerned?

Thank you for your observations and comments in advance.

Cee & Gandy

2. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Could Gandy have gotten into any high carb foods at all today?

Could be that Gandy went lower during the night and is now having some rebound?

3. cmk77

cmk77 Member

What does "meat loaf" position mean? Gandolf is sitting like that and has been and I always feel something is going on when he sits like that. Like he's not exactly relaxed. Is that a standard "red flag" or something?

He's had no carbs today and has eaten though not appearing as hungry as the last couple of days.

Gotta read about rebound. Don't know what that means yet or what it looks like??? :-|

4. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Here's a link from the lantus forum on rebound.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=150

Many times the meatloaf position can indicate that something is going on. However, one of my cats gets in that position all the time. It always worries me, but I'm trying to get used to it after 4 years. If your cat doesn't "meatloaf" by habit, then it could be an indication that something isn't right.

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Gandy's numbers are looking very good! :thumbup My guess is that he went lower than he was used to, and is bouncing. When cats get used to BG in a higher than normal range, and then they start seeing lower numbers, the liver often "panics" and dumps glucose and hormones into the blood to prevent a hypoglycemic episode...even if the cat is nowhere near hypo numbers. It's very common, especially when a cat is just starting on insulin. The one thing you don't want to do is react to this higher number by increasing dose or shooting more insulin to try to bring the numbers down! The numbers will come down by themselves, as the glucose and hormones clear out of the system. So, don't shoot early, and don't increase the dose.

This my seem picky to you, but I notice that you are not shooting on a tight 12/12 schedule...meaning shots are not exactly 12 hours apart. For most insulins, that isn't a big deal, but with Lantus, it is important to stay as close to 12 hours apart as possible...15 minutes difference on each shot is ok, 1/2 hour once a day is ok...any more than that acts as a dose increase or decrease.

Have you looked at the stickies at the top of the Lantus ISG? If you haven't, you really should do that...there is a lot of great information about the insulin, along with a dosing protocol that will be an excellent guide for you. For instance, Lantus dose should be increased by 0.25u at a time, not 0.5u, unless your kitty is at a high dose. It is very easy to overshoot the right dose by increasing by too much or too quickly. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

You are doing great with the testing, and you're asking great questions! Keep up the good work, and keep asking questions so we can help you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.