Doobie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by abycat3, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abycat3

abycat3 New Member

It's been a long time since I have been here...and I just have a quick question.
    Our Doobie (10 year old male Aby) has had diabetes for 3 years now. He's diet controlled. No insulin.
    But the last couple of weeks I have noticed him trying to chew into packages of cookies and sweet things.
    Very out of character for him. Just curious as to why the change in behavior.Thanks for any input.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Have your measured Doobie's BG? If it is normal good. How is Doobie's weight and coat condition doing. A lot (but hot all) of cats that go hyperthyroid loose weight, develop a poor coat and are very hungry.

3. abycat3

abycat3 New Member

I discovered today that I didn't use all my test strips before they expired. New ones are ordered. Bad owner. His coat and weight are excellent.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If they are only recently expired then they are just fine...I used mine for YEARS after they expired.

5. abycat3

abycat3 New Member

My meter won't accept them. Gives me an error message.
    Accu-check Aviva.
    Maybe the codes are only good for so long??

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

yeah, Aviva is the one meter I know of you can't use expired strips with. i played with one for a month and about noon on the last day on the vial, that darn meter wouldn't let me use them anymore. :) it's in the programming

7. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

You can't use expired strips on the Accu Check.

Is he chewing on plastic bags, plastic of any kind, or just trying to get to the food.

I have two cats that have had obsessions with chewing on plastic, whether it was shrink wrap, bags, or anything else that crinkled, they just loved to bite at it.

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Oh I didn't know that! How cruel!

9. abycat3

abycat3 New Member

He "loves" on plastic bags...but doesn't chew them- basically just drools and slobbers on them. It's really just food he's after. And only cookies it seems.
    Caught him with a ziplock bag of homemade sugar cookies this morning. He didn't get into it. Was just pushing it around the kitchen floor while the our golden retriever watched as if to say, "I'm tellin', You aren't supposed to have those!".
    My strips still haven't arrived from Hocks but they have shipped. I do love my Accu-check meter compared to the others I have used, so I guess it's not a big deal if this is the first time I let strips exprire.
    In all other ways he seems even better than normal. Great weight...nothing worse than a fat Aby. lol. Very active. When his GB is high he tends to be a little lethargic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.