? Doogle not well...needs to gain weight.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & Doogle, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Doogle

Donna & Doogle Well-Known Member

So I havent been on here in a long time. Doogle has been doing so good but in the past week Doogle's eye starting squinting and red. Now this is a reoccuring thing with him and usually its an ear infection that cause it. So we started on Otomax and kept the eye clean along with using an eye ointment with no steroid. Usually this will clear it up in about a week. Well this time it didnt. Doogle has lost a pound in 6 weeks and is sitting in the meatloaf position alot this week. So went to the vet, blood work was sent out and BUN and Creatinine was normal. WBC was a little high at 16, 200 and Differential Neutrophils was 10368. Urine was cloudy, PH 7 and 1+ Protein. He has gotten to where he wont eat FF unless its the Shredded or Florentine (none of the tricks work). He has been doing great on Levemir and couldnt be happier but I dont know how to get him to eat. I did get Cypro to give, pain meds and amoxicilian to take care of any infection there could be. But the biggest concern is the weight loss.

How do I get him to gain weight without spike his numbers with something like Shredded (which is 12-15 carbs).

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

He has to eat. If he won't eat the low carb stuff, feed him what he will eat, then continue slowly shifting towards the lower carb. Yes, he may need more insulin to cope with the higher carbs. And he'll be alive. Work from there.

Mini-meals will spread out the work load on the pancreas and help keep the glucose from spiking as extremely. Per Cat Info, you can add 1 ounce of plain meat or poultry to 5 ounces of cat food, mix well, then portion out. That will help reduce the carb proportion.

3. Donna & Doogle

Yeah I think I am going to have to do that. I am going to up his insulin no matter what to battle the higher numbers. The vet didnt see an indication of pancreatitis but my gut is telling me it is. I dont know enough about lab work to know a whole lot. I am going to call and get an anti-nausea meds tomorrow...I think he is a bit nauseous.

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I was just going to say that I might suspect pancreatitis especially if he's not eating and he's meat loafing. His labs look good except the neutrophils which indicates infection/inflammation.

Have you seen the Primer on Pancreatitis? Sending healing vines!

5. Donna & Doogle

I have seen and read it a million times....LOL. My vet doesnt suspect pancreatitis and he doesnt have a SNAP fpl to test for normal or abnormal results. He is up and walking around and ate some boiled chicken like it was caviar....lol. No fever (took his temp) and no ketones. I hate not knowing what is going on.

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I don't blame you. It's scary esp with a diabetic cat. I hope he feels better tomorrow.

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Donna,
    Can you go ahead and treat like it's pancreatitis? A very experienced friend, Ronda Dalton, had a cat that showed negative for it on both tests - they ended up doing exploratory surgery to look for the cause. They discovered he DID have pancreatitis after all. They have NO idea why it didn't show up on tests...it was a very experienced vet group so it wasn't because they didn't know what they were doing.

I hope he feels better soon!

8. Donna & Doogle

Well he is much better today. Eating better and more active. So hoping that the antibiotics are helping along with the pain meds. Thanks for putting up with a worry wort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.