Dosage Adjustment Needed? Will ask vet.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by azzfam, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azzfam

azzfam New Member

Hi ...I'm a newcomer. This site was extremely helpful when Chloe was first diagnosed a year and a half ago. We lived in a foreign country and fortunately had excellent vet. care. Chloe was in remission until a few weeks ago and we got her straight to her vet and sorted out. She is back on 1 unit twice daily. Everything seemed to be going well until this weekend: polydipsia, polyurea, vomiting. In spite of these symptoms her energy levels seem good and her little face is very bright. We did a spot test and it was 360. I know we need to do a full curve to know what is going on and I will be calling her vet first thing in the morning. I was just wondering what anyone out there might think about this. Her Insulin is Lantus.
    Becky

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Hi Becky, good hear you have a good vet. There are people here on this board from all over the world so your not "unusual". Can you give a little a more information about Chloe. How old is she? Does she have any other health problems other than FD? Any medications besides Lantus?

I assume you are testing her blood because you mention spot checks, how often do you test? Are you familiar with the Lantus group here on the board and the protocol we use for dosing and monitoring our cats on Lantus? I suggest you go to that forum and read all the information in the posts at the top. This will explain the way we use Lantus and you are welcome to post in that group to get more advice.

Diet and other factors are also important in treating FD so could you tell us what you feed Chloe and how much. Sometimes our cats who were in remmission develop high blood sugars again in response to another problem like bad teeth or an infection (urinary infections etc.) or a change in food to something inapropriate for a diabetic, the good news is if this is the case it is highly likely that after taking care of the underlying condition (getting teeth pulled/cleaned..) and a short time on insulin again most of these cats will again go into remission.

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Hi Becky,

I have learned enough to know that Lantus works differently than other insulins. I suggest you take your question to the Lantus forum in the Insulin Study Groups.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

That vomitting tells me it is more than just high bgs; have you been testing her urine for ketones? This could be serious if it is more than just a momentary tummy upset or hairball....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.