Dosage questions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michelle Wilson, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle Wilson

Michelle Wilson New Member

My kitty was diagnosed 2 months ago with a bg of 525. She was getting 2 units per day. She is on Friskies Pate.
    So on 1/2/18 she got her pm shot 2 units 3 hours later we tested and she was at 39! She seemed ok but we gave her some karo syrup just in case. One 1/3 she was at 214 we gave her 1 unit. At 6:30 she was at 127 so no shot. We tested her this morning she was at 211 and we didn't give her a shot. She free feeds. I am wondering if her levels are better because of the food switch.

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle

39 is really low, are you using a human or pet meter? Whenever you get an unexpected low number, it is always a good idea to check again right away to make sure it wasn't a bad strip/test. But the other drops you mention in BG#s does indicate she might be on too high of a dose. Food switch can make a big change in BG#s and requires close monitoring after the switch.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. That was a big starting dose. I’m glad you are testing. Good catch. Are you also getting a shot before shooting to make sure it’s safe to shoot? Around here we like to see all your data to help you. Here are the directions for that.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

It also will help you to read the yellow stickies. We use two protocols, SLGS and TR Any dry food? As mentioned above food changes can definitely change insulin needs and often lead to remission. I see you joined in November so it would be helpful to create a signature including protocol, type of meter, food, any other health issues and medications etc. That way we won’t keep bugging you.

I’m sure that you have posted here before but it’s my first time on your condo. Please link the previous condo to the current one so we can know what’s been going on.

Keep asking questions as we like that.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.